General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

overflow tank overflowing

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overflow tank overflowing

hey whats up guys? i am having an issue i just found out about today. this morning i noticed there was a leak coming from the bottom of the my car, hoses are all fine everything was ok and then i noticed there was alot of coolant around the overflow tank area. i noticed that when my engine gets hot enough the coolant in the overflow tank would boiling out, this is with the cap tightened, but i have found that the cap has been hanging off the tank at times but never had a problem till now. i know it cant be the thermostat because at 210 my temp gauge stays there. it could possibly be the radiator cap but im not exaclty sure. guys please help me out if you had this problem and found the solution.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

More than likely a cap...test the cap with a cooling system pressure tester....or just buy a new cap and see if it fixes it (if you dont have the tester).
Old 07-03-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

I've also heard of the overflow "burping" If there is air in the system (I don't know how much it takes for this to happen), it'll burp out of the reservior and splash coolant everywhere. Make sure the system has been bled properly.

Also, make sure you don't have your coolant filled to the full - hot mark when the engine is cold. And another thing, check your mixture. Should be 50/50 (50% water, 50% coolant).

I might be pointing out the obvious but if I had a nickel for everytime I missed the obvious, I'd have 8000RWHP!