General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ATTEN:!!!! Read this STOLEN!!!

Old 07-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTEN:!!!! Read this STOLEN!!!

Ok first off your never gonna believe this, sometime Last night around 12am-5:30am. A theft occured at my friends house....

My friend has a 00 WS6 T/A. It was parked in front of his house on the street. He said he heard a noise but never checked it out. And he swears that he locked his car. He then heard another noise said it sounded like his hood shutting then a loud car/truck drive off around 5:45am He went out to check the noise and just glanced around, nothing unusual, he went to check his car doors and they were locked. So he went back to bed, got up around 7am. and proceeded to leave for work around 7:30.

Went out to start his car. And Nothing, not a click, dash light or anything, he thought his battery was dead. He poped his hood, and he found his problem..

Someone had stolen his engine from his car, somehow, someway he called me and i came over and saw for myself. I couldnt believe my eyes.

I want to know how could this happen? Will Insurence pay for something like this? He has full coverage. but a 1000 deductable. Need opinions, this happend on 404 keeley st scott city mo,

How could someone do this w/o a Lift?

- Cody
Old 07-05-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL sounds like someone needed an ls1 for an FC or FD swap.

I guess its possible but I think the people that did it would need a decent amount of time. I mean even people who really know what their doing I'm sure it takes a decent amount of time. Regardless though I'm sure insurance will cover it if he doesn't have just liability. I wish your friend good luck.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

thats unbelievable. if they worked that fast they would make a killing doing it legally!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get some pics, .. police report and insurance right away someones getting a new engine thats covered dont worry
Old 07-06-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Check Ebay. I would not be suprised if it ends up on ebay in the next couple of months. I am serious!
Old 07-06-2006, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

wouldn't his car looked like it was pulling a wheelie with the motor out??? If I went outside and saw my car raised up in the front like it had a lift I think I would of noticed before even getting in the car...hmmm kinda strange tho thiefts now days are slick
Old 07-06-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

that takes ***** and a lookout, could you imagine pulling an engine and then turning around to a double barrel 12guage in your face? what audacity..sp? i think i would actually take a new engine and run, unless you had alot of internal work done, but hey, then ya got reciepts..
Old 07-06-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DomesticLS1
wouldn't his car looked like it was pulling a wheelie with the motor out??? If I went outside and saw my car raised up in the front like it had a lift I think I would of noticed before even getting in the car
My thoughts exactly....and for the theives to pull it off in the dead of night w/o attracting much attention to themselves..

Not saying I'm disputing your story...obviously, you have proof(!LS1) sitting right in your driveway
Old 07-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Launching!

I would never steal someone elses things, but damn, why not take the entire car. I read how a car can be stolen in under a minute, it must have taken most of the night to get that motor out.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

How did they get the hood up without breaking the latch mechanism? Doors were locked.
That $1000 deductible probably only applies in a collision. His comprehensive deductible covers this and is probably $100 or $500.

I wonder if he didn't sell his old motor and is trying to get the insurance company to buy a new one???
Old 07-06-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

yeah thats crazy you would think if they were going to do that they woulda taken the whole car, pulled the engine then ditched the car, Its hard to believe that anyone can pull an engine that fast and without making any noise or drawing attention to themselfs. But good luck getting it taken care of
Old 07-06-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Cut the fuel lines, cut the wiring harness, take out the 2 middle bolts in the motor mounts and unbolt the trans. The hard part would be actually getting the motor out. Without caring about the car I'm sure 1 guy could have it out in an hour.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

camaros and trans am are prob one of the easiest cars to break into, have you noticed how far the window glass will come away from the weatherstripping? i locked my only set of keys in my car and it took me less than 2 minutes to get into it being careful..
Old 07-06-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya know - last year when I was having some engine work done to my '02 TA, I had a bad dream - matching what just happened to your friends car.

In my dream, I couldnt start my car, when I popped open the hood, the engine was missing/stolen!

I was quite releaved when I woke up, but had to run to the garage, and pop the hood to make sure it WAS a dream. Lucky for me thats all it was.

Are you sure your friend did just have a bad dream too?

:-)
Old 07-06-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe that "punked" like automotive show stole the car and are building a 455ci motor for it right now, and just left another car as a look-a-like.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98hardtopZ
camaros and trans am are prob one of the easiest cars to break into, have you noticed how far the window glass will come away from the weatherstripping? i locked my only set of keys in my car and it took me less than 2 minutes to get into it being careful..
done it a few times. took my friends antenna off his Roush, pulled the pass window out and squeezed my arm and the antenna in the window and pushed the lock forward.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

I've heard stories from valet parking attendants, that they can have your motor swapped out before you even get to dessert.
How's that for an evening out? Take your girl out to a nice restaraunt, and then you get in the car and it's like, "Hmmm, it's running kinda crappy all of a sudden."

Search this Thread