General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

pinon seal leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinon seal leaking

I recently went on a cruise with some of my buddies. When we where on our way back I notice the rear was growling bad. So when I was able to stop I notice it was leaking out the pinon seal and was putting a puddle of gear oil down quick. I want to know how tough it will be to change this seal myself? I was wondering if theres any special tools I need? Is preload in issue i need to worry about? I want to do it myself and i cant afford to take it to a shop at this time. Thanks for any advice.

kyle
P.S. vehicle is a 2000 Z28....A4
Old 07-06-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fairly easy to do...pull the driveshaft, take the pinion nut off, take the yoke out. Can be somewhat difficult to get get out....you may have to use a puller, such as a steering wheel puller to remove the yoke. Once the yoke is out, remove the old pinion seal, install the new pinion seal. Put the yoke back in place, put the nut on, and tighten the it VERY CAREFULLY. The stock crush sleeves are made to be reused ONCE and if you over crush them you will need to tear into your rearend to change it.

One thing to do before you start is to measure the rotational preload with an inch pound torque wrench (needle-type). Record the preload measurement and make sure you tighten the nut up to 3-5 inch pounds HIGHER than what you measured before disassembly. You may have a hard time holding the yoke when tightening the nut so you may need to rig up a way to hold it. We have special tools to do all this at the dealership so its cake.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

sounds easy enough just one DUMB question on the rotational preload. i measure that at the nut when taking it off. cause someone told me i could mark the yoke, the nut and the pinon gear and when i put it back together that the inner and outer bearing preload would be set wasn't sure if that is right. Thanks

kyle
Old 07-06-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ramz-28
sounds easy enough just one DUMB question on the rotational preload. i measure that at the nut when taking it off. cause someone told me i could mark the yoke, the nut and the pinon gear and when i put it back together that the inner and outer bearing preload would be set wasn't sure if that is right. Thanks

kyle
Thats another way to do it is to mark it....I prefer the other method as it lets you go 3-5 in/ibs past the previous preload. If you do mark it, just tighten it up to where you have it marked and you should be good to go.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

thanks for your help joshp14

kyle