General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help w/ my a/c

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help w/ my a/c

My a/c stopped blowing cold a month or two back. I went and got it recharged, and now it is starting to not blow cold again. I know it's leaking. When I took the a/c 'off' to get access to the motor mounts (changing them) I found refrigerent on one of the bolts (this was awhile ago, before I got it recharged) Now I can see some of it dripping off the compressor and there is a small puddle on the driveway. How do I go about fixing this? What do I look for? If this is going to cost a good bit of money I'll just pull the a/c and use the vents, but I really don't want to do that if I don't have to because I live in Florida.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think your compressor or the fittings to it are shot....you check the hose fittings on it? ive seen a camaros carode before (bad spelling). if your going to get a new compressor shop around you can get new ones for not that much....i live down here and i just make sure i drive fast enough with the windows down to keep me cool...saves gas to
Old 07-09-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I doubt I'll buy anything over $100. I'll just take it out and free up space and take some weight off the front. I drove the car with no ac for a few months when I first got the car because the car wouldn't idle with ac on due to the untuned cam (231/237) so I can probably deal with it.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I found it leaking at the compressor. If you look under the car the compressor sits there, well towards the middle/back of it, it looks like two pieces come over one piece (that is where there is a sticker saying only serviced by trained whatever) Well it's leaking where those two pieces come together, it was covered in freon and you could see bubbling there. It didn't look too bad but I tried cleaning it and putting some silicone on there. Do you think that will work? What do ya'll suggest?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Had the same problem on my car. System sat empty for a long time, internal seals on the compressor went bad, wouldn't hold a charge, and leaked out at the same location. I just picked up a used compressor from a salvage yard. I chose a reputable yard that gave me a good warranty on the compressor. It works great. Replace the dryer while you are in there.

I spent 100 on the compressor. Lots of used compressors on the board for sale for the same price or more, but you don't get a warranty from joe blow who pulled it off his car 2 years ago but swears its still good.