General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 TA - Clicking Starter

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 TA - Clicking Starter

I need some advice. Working on a 98 standard TA because it won't start. When turning the key the starter will make repeated tick sounds and the 'service engine' light flashes in sequence with the tick noises. Here is what I have done so far:

1). Tried two different new batteries
2). Checked voltage at battery: 12.6V when not engaged, 11.9 when trying to start.
3). Replaced starter with a brand new, not re-man, starter.
4). Tried to start with both accessory belts off of the engine in case one of them froze up.
5). Checked voltage at starter: 12.6 V when not engaged, drops to near zero when ticking.

Anything else that you can think of to try? Why is the service engine light flashing in sequence with the starter trying to engage...is that normal or do you think that it truly is trying to throw a code?
Old 07-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

What's the resistance on the battery cable?
Old 07-15-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

Check the end of the battery cable. Sounds corny and simple, but a little corrosion will kill the connection.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Could be the alternator. I recently had to get a new one. As I reved up to higher RPMs my voltage dropped and it cut out. This was after a jump start because of a dying/dead battery.

Got a new battery, new alternator, no clicking for me anymore.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Default Solved - Kinda

Thanks for the replies all.

For the hell of it I tried running a jumper from the neg battery post to the starter's casing. Ta da...fired right up when we turned the key.

I assumed the neg battery lead was bad. I removed it and installed a new neg battery lead. That didn't help. On a 98 TA the neg batt cable attaches to the frame near the passenger-side engine mount. And the connection was very tight there and corrorsion free.

In the end I used a small section of the old neg battery cable and made a jumper from the frame ground point to the lower starter bolt. No worries, I am good with wires and crimped and soldered a connector so it looks tight and professional. It's firing up perfectly now, very strong.

This must mean that the frame ground point isn't making good contact with the engine block (assumingly through the engine mounts)? It doesn't matter now with the jumper I created the engine is nicely grounded now.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Teching In

98 with starting issues will sometimes mean the relay. Have had 3 replaced on our 98 the past 6 years.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rybo Flavin
This must mean that the frame ground point isn't making good contact with the engine block (assumingly through the engine mounts)? It doesn't matter now with the jumper I created the engine is nicely grounded now.
The engine mounts are rubber and are generally not going to conduct to the frame. You should have a ground strap somewhere that provides a connection between the engine and frame (I don't know/don't remember where it is on our cars). Probably, this is what is missing or has a bad connection.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a ground strap on the front of the motor bolted to the inside of the frame rail right below the upper radiator hose. It's the standard flat ribbon type ground strap. It runs down behind the alternator and bolts to the block. I believe this is the ground strap that you need to check. Here is the pic from SI to help illustrate where its at:
Attached Thumbnails 98 TA - Clicking Starter-ground.gif  

Last edited by joshp14; 07-19-2006 at 07:15 PM.