General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Who would be best to replace my windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who would be best to replace my windshield?

The windshield on my 02 TA took its 2nd rock hit this past weekend.
The 1st hit from last year wasnt really a problem, but the 2nd one cracked it on the pass side, and im sure it'll split sooner or later.

I'm very nervious about having the window replaced!

Is this something I should have the dealer work on, or are they no better that a creditable body/glass shop?

Also, I want the replacement glass to be as factory orginal as possbile.

any advice?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need info too!!

i have the same questions about a windshield also i need 1 but what's the most original factory replacement and who's the bettar installer . !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.safelite.com/

Just did an online quote for a windshield replacement:
Safelite Regular Price: $416.35
Sizzling Summer Savings: 47% Off
Your Price: $219.26 (+tax)
Old 07-16-2006, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

What are your insurance laws up there?
Here in Fla, windshields are free. So we look for someone that uses OEM glass and a free box of steaks.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Launching!

I work in the windshield glass industry. In order to get the 'original' type windshield you need to look at the small logo printed on your windshield. It should have a logo that says "LOF" printed on it. That stands for Libby-Owens-Ford; that company was purchsed several years ago by a company named Pilkington. They still use the 'LOF' trademark though. Since the F body cars were assembled in Canada I can tell you that our windshields were most likely produced at a Pilkington glass plant north of Toronto.

So.....to get the same 'LOF' trademark on the windshield you will most likely have to go to a dealer (which will cost more) or call around to independent windshield places and ask them which glass manufacturer they use for your car.

Here is why......there is a difference between 'replacement glass' and 'aftermarket glass'. Safelite produces aftermarket glass. They buy an OEM windshield and they reverse engineer it and place their 'Safelite' logo on it. Safelite produces a quality product but you will not have the 'original' stamped windshield.

When an OEM windshield manufacturer is producing a run of OEM windshields they will produce an amount at the end of their run to be sold as 'replacement' glass. Exactly the same as the OEM glass. Some go to the assembly plant and the rest go to distributors for resale.

Hope this helps explain how to get the 'original' stamped windshield. In my opinion, unless you are planning on keeping the car in a vacuum with little or no miles on it and pulling it out in 20 years as a collectors car.......I would go with Safelite. Great product and great price. You wont notice a difference at all.

You will be amazed at how fast they can R&R your windshield. Sometimes 10-15 minutes. I wouldnt worry about that either.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

The glass is only part of the worry.

Another concern is the molding they use. I've seen the work done by some local glass retailers, the ones that come out to you at work or home and replace the glass in your driveway. Some of them replace the molding with something quite different than stock, and it tends to not seal as well.

If they replace your molding, be sure that they use OEM molding. If not, I'd get some from the dealer and supply it to them.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
http://www.safelite.com/

Just did an online quote for a windshield replacement:
Safelite Regular Price: $416.35
Sizzling Summer Savings: 47% Off
Your Price: $219.26 (+tax)
THese guys are great.. You can also reach them at
1-800-800-ASAP. They did my Camaro for 197.00 in my garage. NO LEAKS. Found a tiny TINY star on the inside about 2 months later, they came out and fixed (replaced) it for FREE. The first time they use their Safelite company glass. If it has a defect, they will replace it for free with FACTORY GM Glass. Good people. Lined up T Tops perfect both times. Good Luck
Old 07-18-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Veteran

I had a private replacement company come out to the house and I paid for the "replacement glass." Took about an hour. Got a Pilkington Windshield. They used a GM gasket. I was told not to drive the car for 24 hours as the silicone sets up. Doesn't leak. Works great.

There is some great info in this thread.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great info - thanks all!

I'll call safelite this week, they have a location about 10 mins from where I work, and schedule the replacement soon.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea my mom got hit by a stone from a big tractor trailor and it cracked her windshield. it was a small dot, but after 2 months spidered into a big crack. a company came out and installed the glass in 15 minutes for under $200. they basically told her you could just get a plate number from any big truck and submit it you insurance and they'd cover it...though i can't guarantee that...point is, it's 6 months later and it's just as good as stock.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have been intalling windshields for 15 years dont go to the dealership go to a certified shop. Your car should never have to set for 24 hours that is just crazy that means they are just using cheap *** glue.. Where are you located I am with the 4th largest autoglass company maybe I can help you out...
Old 07-18-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Eh, I wasn't going to drive it anyways and most sealer products take a least a couple of hours to cure. He used a black hard silicone.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001chevroletz28
I have been intalling windshields for 15 years dont go to the dealership go to a certified shop. Your car should never have to set for 24 hours that is just crazy that means they are just using cheap *** glue.. Where are you located I am with the 4th largest autoglass company maybe I can help you out...
I'm in Upstate NY, what company are you with? Area?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am with auto glass center.. We dont have anything up there sorry amn I could have hooked u up.. And he did not use a black silicone to put your windshield in it was urathane. The urathanes out today ofcourse there are several brans a several diffferent cure times. The glue we use cures in 30 minutes it is expensive to buy but well worth the money. And make sure you know what brand of glass they will be putting in and ask if there techs are certified as well.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh ya and I wouldnt recomend a safelite brand w/s either.. Wouldnt put that in my car anyway..
Old 07-21-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001chevroletz28
I am with auto glass center.. We dont have anything up there sorry amn I could have hooked u up.. And he did not use a black silicone to put your windshield in it was urathane. The urathanes out today ofcourse there are several brans a several diffferent cure times. The glue we use cures in 30 minutes it is expensive to buy but well worth the money. And make sure you know what brand of glass they will be putting in and ask if there techs are certified as well.
Okay, thanks for the update.

As it turns out, safelite hasnt bothered to return my 2 calls to thier shop - so I wont be using them.

Instead, I took the advice from above, and found a glass shop that specializes in OEM glass, and yes, they use Pilkington! I'll call thier shop next week.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

tHERE YOU GO MAN GOOD CHOICE WHAT KIND OF PRICE DID THEY GIVE YOU???? I WILL TELL YOU IF IT IS A GOOD DEAL OR NOT..

Quick Reply: Who would be best to replace my windshield?