General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car wont start! pls help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start! pls help

i have a 2k z28. it was driving all fine and dandy until i parked it. when i returned, i put the key into the ignition, all electrical started working. once i tried to start the engine, i heard a click and everything in the car died including the power. pull the key out and re-inserted into the ignition. no power, nada. opened my hood, moved the battery, tried pushing in the electrical wirings and made sure it was all snugged and stuff. went back to the car, reinserted the key into the ignition and the power worked. cranked it, heard the same click and everything died.

repeated the entire process twice, then somehow got the engine started. anyone knows what the problem maybe ? i havent driven the z28 in so long, about 2 years. battery was dead for a while until i jumpstarted and recharged it again. could it be the battery ? not sure cause the power worked just until i started to crank the engine. thanks for your help.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

could be the passlock system in the ignition switch. Do the lights come on the intrument cluster when key is turned to ON?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could be your alternator. Or starter even.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1TA385
could be the passlock system in the ignition switch. Do the lights come on the intrument cluster when key is turned to ON?
yes, before i crank the engine. once i do, everything is dead. no lights whatsoever.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

your alternator may be the culprit
Old 07-18-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm gonna go against the crowd here and say bad connection since when you moved your battery wires around it cranked. Try this, Take your battery terminals off the battery and scrub them down with a wire brush and baking soda with water mixed in it. Also check your ground straps on the frame.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaroz
I'm gonna go against the crowd here and say bad connection since when you moved your battery wires around it cranked. Try this, Take your battery terminals off the battery and scrub them down with a wire brush and baking soda with water mixed in it. Also check your ground straps on the frame.

i would try that. corrosion is like a cancer. it will run the length of the wire causing its resistance to go up.