General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering, radiator, battery go out at once?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering, radiator, battery go out at once?

I was rolling down a street in neutral riding the brakes a lil because I knew there was a bunch of small pot holes and some gravel coming up. I rolled over them very slowly and the normal sound of gravel flicking up under the tires only it kept going for a few seconds after I went over the gravel. I think nothing of it and keep rolling down the hill, when it comes time to turn I notice my power steering went out.. and I'm like WTF.. I got out and looked up the hill to see if anything fell.. looked under the car and saw nothing. I went up the hill and parked in front of my friend house. Right when I got out I noticed that there was a coolant all over the ground. Also my battery is just in the top of the red. Im thinking its some sort of belt? or whatever? ... Does anyone know? im going to look at it now that I have a flash light.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Well just one of the belts when out, the car over heated a lil and thats what leaked the coolant.. What kind of belt do I need.. is it hard to install, or should I have someone do it? It's the belt that can be seen from the.. right (looking from the front) side of the car. Sorry I can't explain better than that. Im just glad it was nothing serious... the belt was real real dry.. cant believe I didnt check @ the dealership!
Old 07-25-2006, 09:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Belt swap is easy. Just order a new one from your local dealer, they should have it in stock. Doing the swap yourself is VERY easy, just need a wrench or socket/ratchet to release the tensioner while you slide the new belt on. Very simple swap.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, but there may have been another reason the belt flew off in the first place.

Maybe you have a bad pulley. I'd have someone a bit more knowledgable look at the car and see what they think first.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dcrews
Yes, but there may have been another reason the belt flew off in the first place.

Maybe you have a bad pulley. I'd have someone a bit more knowledgable look at the car and see what they think first.
nah, the belt was very dry, and it didnt fly off, it broke apart

RPM, Thanks i'll go pick up one tommorow then im going to get the coolant all flushed and new plugs, fluids, injection clean