General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tilt steering column broke????

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tilt steering column broke????

I like to have the wheel down in my lap when I drive, then swing it up and out of the way when I get out. Yesterday I was doing a powerslide in a parking lot, and you know that meant shuffling that baby from lock to lock really quick. Well the wheel flew up in my hands when I was doing this yesterday. It has done this to me about 5 or 6 times in a similar situation in the past year, when I was manhandling the **** of the wheel.

I think the mechanism is going bad, but in normal and even spirited driving it feels fine. How big of a PITA is this to fix?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just don't think the steering column was meant to handle heavy abuse.

I really don't think there is much you can do about that. If it's fine in normal driving. A new steering column maybe . It still might happen after that though. I think you're just being too rough with it.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HeapaShifter
I just don't think the steering column was meant to handle heavy abuse.

I really don't think there is much you can do about that. If it's fine in normal driving. A new steering column maybe . It still might happen after that though. I think you're just being too rough with it.
Maybe I should learn to shuffle steer Or gets some better seats so I'm not holding onto the wheel for dear life!!!

Although I do think something is wrong with it. Occasionally when I get out of the car and pull myself up by the wheel, it will pop out of place.

EDIT: I had an old Buick with a similar style of tilt column in it, and it never did this to me, even while sliding around, donuts and fishtailing with the e-brake. And that car had 230k miles on it.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

That happened to me before. I was kinda pulling myself up in the seat, and the sterring wheel ratcheted itself down. I thought I broke it.
So I never did that again.............
Old 07-27-2006, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine is kinda loose when i push down on it to get out but it isnt near as extreme as your describing...
Old 07-27-2006, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

i got the same problem, one day i was getting out of the car and i was pulling on the wheel and it came all the way down.
IDK if it is because of that or not, but i can't click my bright lights on unless my wheel is up
Old 07-27-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

you too? my brights only work at a certain position on the column, haha, a while back a few of us were talking about beefing the column up with newer stuff...
Old 07-27-2006, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

i live in the city at the moment, so i don't need the brights, but in about 5 mths, when i go home i'll need them everyday.

what were you talking about beefin em up? a new lever or something?
i wonder how many other people's **** don't work??
Old 07-27-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bray
IDK if it is because of that or not, but i can't click my bright lights on unless my wheel is up
That 91 Regal I was talking about had the same problem. The turn signal stalk finally wore out to where it wouldn't turn the blinkers on, or stay in its detent position. My sister was driving it at the time, so it went to the mechanic and he replaced the whole mechanism for the turn signals and brights inside the column. Didn't have to mess with the tilt crap though.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

cool, so i need to replace the whole switch thing.

damn, about a year ago i found a whole steering colum on ebay, for $100, wheel, airbag, everything, new i should have bought it