General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 04:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering rack

My steering rack is leaking at the rod joint. It's not a very bad leak but I want to fix it. I did a search on changing out seals or if need be the rack. Every post I found regarding how to change the rack, has no usefull info. Does anyone have any info on changing the seals or the rack out on an F-bod. How bad of a job is it? Any helpfull hints?

By the way, I know someone is going to say "Get a manual rack blah blah blah...."

I'm not looking to spend that kind of money and don't really see the point of a manual rack besides weight saving.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

anyone
Old 08-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Launching!

I did it and it was harder that i was expecting. The overall work was not that bad, but one of the two bolts that goes to the crossmember hits the motor when you try to take it out. I loosened the motor and jacked it up and it still did not come out. Finally i took a sawzall and cut the bolt out. Once it was out, pulling the rack was easy. I will try and find you the thread that i used for help.

bTW , you would probably need someone to help you as it will be easier with two or three people.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've changed a rack in a fbody before but not w/ a V8. It shouldn't be any harder though.