General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

hard starting??!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hard starting??!!

In the mornings and or after car has sat for a little while..my car takes a little while to start.. It sounds like its wanting to start but it won't crank over until a few seconds. I sometimes turn the key to the "on" position but don't turn the car on...this lets the fuel pump turn on and build pressure before trying to crank the engine...this seems to minimize the time it takes the engine to start....
Once the engine is started I have to give it gas for about 2-3 seconds so it says running....once I let off the gas after that it idles excellent. Also if I get the car started or if I have just finished driving or something..I can turn the car off and then start it right back up with no problems and it idles excellent.

What could be my problem?
I'm thinking fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump, or something else.
To me it seems like a fuel pressure problem or something.

Could you guys give me some suggestions and tell me how to check to see if that is the problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It def sounds fuel related, you may just have to have the fuel pressure tested to see if its at the right PSI.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a one-way check valve in the fuel pump. When you turn the car off, this valve is suppose to keep fuel pressure built up for easy starts next time you want to start the car. If this valve is bad or leaking, all of your fuel pressure will bleed off as soon as you turn the car off making it hard to start the next time.

I'm 90% sure if you replace the fuel pump module it will fix your problem. Other possibilites include a sticking injector, leaking fuel pump flex line, or regulator leaking.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

when you say "fuel pump module" are you saying to replace the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator?
Thanks

Originally Posted by joshp14
There is a one-way check valve in the fuel pump. When you turn the car off, this valve is suppose to keep fuel pressure built up for easy starts next time you want to start the car. If this valve is bad or leaking, all of your fuel pressure will bleed off as soon as you turn the car off making it hard to start the next time.

I'm 90% sure if you replace the fuel pump module it will fix your problem. Other possibilites include a sticking injector, leaking fuel pump flex line, or regulator leaking.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Usually module refers to the in-tank assembly, which includes the regulator. I cant rememeber if the regulator actually comes with it or if you have to buy it separately.