General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant Flush

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 01:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Coolant Flush

I decided to to a coolant flush today but while I was doing it something weird happened. The car only drained about half of what it should have. I flushed it like the directions said by refilling it with the flush bottle and water then draining, then just water and draining, and finally with water and coolant. When I added the water and coolant the final time it only took less than 8 quarts of water and coolant together instead of the almost 12 that the manual says it should. I did a little reasearch on the board and saw in the coolant flush proceadure post that you should remove drain plugs from the block along with the radiatior. We didnt do that but could that be the reason why we didnt drain or refill the 12 quarts?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

Yup - that would be the reason...
Old 08-07-2006, 08:27 AM
12 Second Club

The block will hold about 4 qts. If you are satisfied with the clarity of the water when you drained it for the second time, you'll be fine. The only thing you might want to think about is that you added a 50/50 mix to the 4 qts of water that was left in the block. So you actually are running a bit weaker than 50/50. You might want to try to top off with about a quart of undilluted coolant.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Thats exactly what I was thinking about. The water that was coming out from the second flush was pretty clear so I think thats allright. Another thing that I was kind of worried about was when used the flush fluid (from prestone I think), would any of that still be in the system after draining it and flushing it with the water? Im going to see if theres any room left to put a little more coolant in but other than that am I ok to just leave it as is?

Edit: Where are the locations of the drain plugs on the block?