General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

surging issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default surging issue

dont know exactly what section this should be in but here goes. never had this problem until this morning on my way to work. every two seconds during acceleration or cruising the rpms would surge 200 rpm lower than what i was holding it it. i can turn the car off and back on and it wont be there for a brief period of time. now it is raining outside and im hoping this might just be caused by a connection that is getting wet. but has anyone else had this issue?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a missfire
are you getting a CEL? Have you checked your fuel pressure? Maybe you have a bad ignition wire.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkichline
Sounds like a missfire
are you getting a CEL? Have you checked your fuel pressure? Maybe you have a bad ignition wire.

my cel is on all the time but its not flashing. i pulled the codes and none are missfire related. havent checked FP. but if it was fuel pressure this would be constant. if i shut the car off and turn it back on it wont do it for a little bit of driving. and definately doesnt do it at idle
Old 08-10-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven02TA
my cel is on all the time but its not flashing. i pulled the codes and none are missfire related. havent checked FP. but if it was fuel pressure this would be constant. if i shut the car off and turn it back on it wont do it for a little bit of driving. and definately doesnt do it at idle
Well, if your fuel pressure drops out under accelleration, you could have a fuel pump on its way out or something. I would check to see what it is when this happens. You'd be able to rule out the fuel pump, filter, and fuel lines. You still would have the possibility of an injector going bad, though. How many miles are on your plugs and wires?
What codes are you getting? It could be something else that is causing misfire.