General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I feel dumb asking this but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I feel dumb asking this but...

I am trying to get my IAC sensor off the throttle body but one of the two screws holding it in is stripped. Instead of being a hex shape it has been completely stripped to a circular shape now (I dont know how because this is the first time I have touched it) and I cant get the damn the off for the life of me. I dont think it would be smart drilling it out because of the potential risk of something falling through but my idle is being stupid and I have tried everything besides cleaning the IAC. Anybody have any suggestions for getting the thing off? TIA!
Old 08-12-2006, 01:55 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by HowellSoccer88
Instead of being a hex shape it has been completely stripped to a circular shape now (I dont know how because this is the first time I have touched it)
What tool did you use to try and remove it? You should have been using a Torx bit (can't remember the size off hand). If you used a regular hex head, then that would explain how it got rounded so quick.

There is very little torque used for the IAC mounting screws. I would think that if you can get a small pair of vice grips to clamp onto the head of the screw, you should be able to twist it off. Maybe even some basic channel locks/pliers might do the trick. You may need to pull the TB off the intake to get a good angle.

That's what I would try first. Hope that helps.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

PS. Don't feel too bad about this. Dumb stuff happens to all of us.

I had to replace the IAC motor on my '98. Being the musclebound guy that I am, I tend to overtighten things (bad habit). So I ended up stripping most of the threads right out of the bore for the IAC mounting screw. Don't ya just hate that feeling when you're tightening something down and suddenly it starts to loosen???

Of course, they don't make thread repair kits for bores that small, so I was going to try and use some JB weld, then re-tap it with the screw, but I got lucky. I had some spare TB parts laying around and on a hunch I tried using a spare TPS sensor mounting screw in the IAC bore. Sure enough, the TPS screw was just a little longer and it grabbed some threads that I hadn't stripped out yet. Been holding up fine for over a year now.

If I ever need to change the IAC valve again though, I'm guessing it's not gonna be pretty. I'll probably need to use a different TB or try the JB Weld idea.