General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car wash!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default car wash!!

hey guys, i just wanted to know your guys carwash techniques!! lol.. do u guys wash and soap one area at a time, or soap the whole thing then wash? how long does it take u to wash your car?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends. I use soap if there is a lot of dirt but just water if I rewash after a couple days. The fastest I ever washed was in 15 minutes but I have already spent as long as 2 full days. But the 2 day job was including vacuuming, shampooing, wax (3 step mcguires), wheel polishing, armorall (tires, wheel wells, interior, footsteps), windex all windows, rain-x, and some other stuff I can't remember.

Just make sure that you use a CLEAN non abraisive sponge. After 11 years, I have some swirl marks that I just can't get out. The bugs have buggered up my front end but not too bad after 158000 miles. If you drop your sponge on the ground DO NOT USE IT until you rinse it thoroughly.
I found that drying the car is half the battle. Sometimes I'll take it out for a quick 100mph blow dry before I towel dry. I use microfiber towels. The do much better absorbing the water and clearing up water marks when you're all done. Also be carefull with the microfiber towels. They can pick up a lot of dirt and its hard to get all the dirt out once its in there. You don't want that dirt scratching up the clear coat.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

man, i hate washing the car, then i soap it down, after washing and wiping and drying, i still have dirt on my car..lol. i hate dark colored cars.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel your pain! NBM is hard to take care of....almost as bad as black. My car never gets very dirty, but this is what I do:
Find shade!!! Rinse entire car down, use 2 buckets with meguires nxt shampoo and microfiber wash mits. One is for the paint, the other is for the wheels/wells. Usually wash a small section at a time(about half the hood or a single fender, just don't allow soap to dry) then rinse. Then go around with second bucket and wash the wheels/wells. Rinse entire car with just the hose to sheet water off, then blow dry the car with electric blower. Wipe up remaining water beads with microfiber towel. Take a picture......cuz it'll be dirty again in ten minutes. I'd say it usually takes me 45 mins to wash/dry.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol.. yeah, it will get dirty again right when you soap it. i hate trying to clean the lower half of the doors.. thats dirtiest the most.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive found some good sites that are worth taking a look at this one is my favorite its a tutorial for detailing http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/detail.html
im sure theres more out there so post any good ones that you come accross!