General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Video & Mp3's (Weird Noise) Wheel Bearing? Rear Dif? Suspension? Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 06:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Video & Mp3's (Weird Noise) Wheel Bearing? Rear Dif? Suspension? Brakes?

Video & Mp3's (Weird Noise) Wheel Bearing? Rear Dif? Suspension? Brakes?

As I was coming home last night I had a little too much fun and decided to do some burnouts and have fun on a curvy road. I've done both of these things before no problem. Now the back driver side wheel is making this noise:

mp3_1
mp3_2
3g2 movie of car going in reverse very slowly.

While I was going in reverse, I was going down hill and had the brake on for part of the time. The low traction light came on when it made the noise (kind of odd).

I took the car up to 50, and the problem seems to subside, but occur again when I use the brakes/and or brakes made the noise come back.

We just replaced the seal on the rear differential last Saturday but I do not think its a drivetrain related problem because putting the car in neutral does not make the sound go away, but higher mph makes the sounds occur faster, I think it happens once every revolution.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:22 AM
TECH Regular

It is happening once every revolution. Its sounds like something is dropping to the bottom every time the one spoke is facing down. Its probably a wheel bearing. But first, take a look behind the hub and make sure you don't have a stick in there or something stupid like that. Also, make sure your calipers are torqued down properly.

P.S. Nice career choice... I'm an EE from Penn State University '97 with some grad work at Villanova.

Last edited by jkichline; 08-16-2006 at 07:24 AM. Reason: add a comment
Old 08-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Launching!

I hope this is not related to my friend changing the seal and we didn't use a torque wrench to preload the bearing, we used paint to make sure the gears meshed and to check the backlash.

There isnt any grease on the wheels, but the brakes seem to affect the problem., and the low traction light will blink because of it (ocassionally)
Old 08-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Okay I just went to take off the wheel and all the lugs on that wheel are loose! I guess when you do not torque the lugnuts underload they loosen up oiver time. Lukily I didn't have to waste hundreds of dollars on a new rear end or wheel bearing. Lesson learned, I will torque my lugnuts only after I set the car on the ground.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by marc1130
Okay I just went to take off the wheel and all the lugs on that wheel are loose! I guess when you do not torque the lugnuts underload they loosen up oiver time. Lukily I didn't have to waste hundreds of dollars on a new rear end or wheel bearing. Lesson learned, I will torque my lugnuts only after I set the car on the ground.

I can't believe I didn't think of that! I've done that myself once or twice over the years. Luckily not on my T/A, though. Keep an eye on that wheel though and make sure they stay tight now. You may have oblonged the holes by driving with loose nuts.
I don't think torquing under load would be better, though. If anything, probably worse. Although, you gotta have that brake on pretty hard to get to the right torque while its up in the air. You may have just plain forgot to torque them. Don't worry though, there's nobody here that hasn't done something like that in their lifetime!

in case you didn't catch it earlier, I said you might have been driving with loose nuts