General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

water pump going out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation water pump going out?

i'm getting a squeek from the front of the engine, thinking its my water pump acting up. ( sounds like a person riding a bike thats to small to hold the weight, except sped up a bit.) doesn't really change with rpm so i figured its not a bearing. i did the screw driver trick to listen to the heads and they sounded fine. couldn't really get at anything else.
it started acting up after i took it out and showed a friend what its got compared to his 68 camaro. did a 0-70, 50-100 and a 60-120 with it. ran like a top, got back to his place shut it off and bull shitted for a while. went back fired it up and now i have a squeek. 1-10 10 being the loudest its probably a 3
non the less it bugs the **** out of me.

i know there are tons of the "sound" threads and appreciate any input you guy might have since i'm one of the newbies around here.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would blame one of the idler or tensioner pulleys, there are 2 of each. The a/c system has it's own seperate belt, and seperate idler and tensioner pullies. It's a crapshoot when replacing them, you pretty much get lucky if the first one you replace is the right one. You could take your a/c belt off for long enough to drive around. At least that will tell you whether or not it's one of those 2 pullies. If the sound goes away, you have your answer. If not, it's the main accessory drive belt idler or tensioner pulley.

That's not to say it couldn't be your water pump, but I'd blame the above first. I had the same problem, ended up being my a/c tensioner pulley. It was horrible in the morning, and when it was really humid out. Loud chirping/squealing noise. Went away once it warmed up.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for giving me a good starting point. much apreciated!
Old 09-08-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

figured out its the alternator after digging into it. it squeaks when i spin the it without the belt. anyone know where i can find a rebuilt alternator for cheap?
Old 09-08-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get a rebuilt one at the chain auto parts stores with a lifetime warranty - buddy of mine had a charging problem and went through a couple, then ended up springing for a new GM unit.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this one is charging fine still, front bearing is just out on it. hopefully i have better luck.
checker has a new one for $162 with a $30 core charge. and brand i should stay away from?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive always had bad luck with alternators from the parts stores. Go oem.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go oem for sure... i work at advance auto parts and you'd be surprised how many customers come back with alternators that crapped out...