General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Shifter raises 1 to 2 inches when you give car gas, tons of slack in drivetrain

Old 08-21-2006, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter raises 1 to 2 inches when you give car gas, tons of slack in drivetrain

Wasnt to bad at first but i started to notice that the shifter raised up when i got on the throttle, took it to tranny shop they told me it was main tranny mount and that its common prob. they didnt have one in stock so they took it off a ws6 that was being worked on and put on mine, the owner is a friend of mine, worked for about ten miles, then started lifting up, having a brand new one put on today, i guess my question is, Is there anything that could cause me to keep breaking them,, like a bad motor mount or somthing, hopefully i just got a bad one from the other t/a and the new one will fix the prob any ideas?
Old 08-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as soon as i read the title of this thread, i was going to say it's a bad tranny mount. the tranny is likely sagging at a stop from the busted mount, then as soon as you start moving, the forward force of motion is lifting the tranny up in the air thereby raising your shifter. i can't think of ANYTHING else it could possibly be.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

yah could the tourque arm mount be broke how can you tell, is there a way to? without putting on a lift i mean?
Old 08-21-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Motor mount. You're engine is torqueing more causing more stress on your transmission. I was having similar issues and changed out my motor mounts to poly and no issues now. Everything is nice and solid with no vibrations like the poly trans mount add.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
as soon as i read the title of this thread, i was going to say it's a bad tranny mount. the tranny is likely sagging at a stop from the busted mount, then as soon as you start moving, the forward force of motion is lifting the tranny up in the air thereby raising your shifter. i can't think of ANYTHING else it could possibly be.
Exactly what i thought, def a mount is busted, it is possible to be the motormount as well, look under the car and see of the mounts are torn.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

How much am i looking at for motor mounts? whats the install like? has to be the prob. still have slack in tranny after new mount, And get this i get it back from the shop yesterday, runs great for a while then i notice this whining in the hatch area, i think its the fuel pump...this was not like this when i took it in Then after driving home it starts sputtering barely made it back to the shop this mourn, yesterday they relaced an injector for $180 so im pissed could theyt have caused my fuel pump to act up? or is tere anything else it could be? need help here guys,,,[aid seventeen thousand on thursday and i haven even had it for a full day....very frustrated
Old 08-22-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Tranny mount or Torque arm.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SpringtowN
How much am i looking at for motor mounts? whats the install like? has to be the prob. still have slack in tranny after new mount, And get this i get it back from the shop yesterday, runs great for a while then i notice this whining in the hatch area, i think its the fuel pump...this was not like this when i took it in Then after driving home it starts sputtering barely made it back to the shop this mourn, yesterday they relaced an injector for $180 so im pissed could theyt have caused my fuel pump to act up? or is tere anything else it could be? need help here guys,,,[aid seventeen thousand on thursday and i haven even had it for a full day....very frustrated
You can get motor mounts for about $50 (I went with prothane). The install is kinda a bitch. If you are doing longtubes soon, it'll be easier. There's a sticky in the external engine forum on the motor mount install. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2006, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Yup same thing happened to me, got a poly tranny mount from summit 27 bucks shipped. It felt so much stiffer after that.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:21 AM
Staging Lane

thanks guys guess ill try the polly mounts...sounds like its gonna be a lot of fun though from what i here....

Search this Thread