General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Newbie Oil Change Question

Old 08-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Oil Change Question

Okay, so I just brought a 2002 Z-28 MT with 14k miles and I want to take an active role in its maintenance, which I have never done with any of my cars before. So I thought I would start with an oil change.

The problem is that my driveway is on a hill and has a mild grade which leans the car very, very slightly to the passenger's side. There is no other level area on which I could do the work.

So, my question is how should I change the oil in the safest manner possible? Should I use ramps and blocks? Stands? Or should I not do it at on given the driveway's slope? Will the slope affect the oil change itself? How long should I let the oil drain?

The car kicks *** by the way. I have never had a vehicle that is as fun to drive as my Camaro.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Set the parking brake, block the rear wheels being sure that they are sucure. jack the car up just high enough for you to get under it and have enough room the work and place it on jack stands. I don,t think that you will be able to use ramps, due the lowness and design of our cars. Remove the drain plug and catch the old oil in an oil drain container. (Take the old oil to Auto Zone or some other such place for proper desposal) After the oil has stopped running out, let it drip a few minutes while you remove the old oil filter. (Always change the filter with an oil change). Put the oil drain plug back in the pan, install the new filter, lift the car off the jack stands and let it down onto the ground. Fill the crank case with 6 quarts of oil ( I suggest a synthec oil {Amsoil or Castrol Syntec 5W-30}). There, you have an oil and filter change.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...oil_change.htm
Old 08-22-2006, 07:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

castrol 0w30 (made in germany)

regardless... the oil spews out towards the front driver's side wheel (it goes pretty far!), so if your car is tilted slightly to the passenger side, when the oil is in the dripping phase, it'll probably run under your oil pan towards your passenger front wheel a little bit. That shouldn't be anything too crazy. As for your driveway, are we talking like 20 degree or like 60 degree incline? :p
Old 08-22-2006, 07:09 AM
TECH Regular

14k miles? My, aren't we the cradle-robber? Part of enjoying these cars (or any car, for that matter), is maintaining it and getting to know it. I'm an old guy, and I'm still **** about my cars. Congrats on the Z, and let the mods begin!
Old 08-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by irnbru83
As for your driveway, are we talking like 20 degree or like 60 degree incline? :p
I don't know the grade, but it isn't really bad. I am just being paranoid I think. I am mainly concerned that it not interfere with getting the oil out of the car, but it doesn't sound like it will be a problem.

Thanks for the help. I will most likely change it on Sunday.

Is there any reason that I should not use Redline 5W-30?

Last edited by Mister Hand; 08-23-2006 at 08:11 PM.

Search this Thread