General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Will a Low Amp Alternator cause you to throw a code?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will a Low Amp Alternator cause you to throw a code?

My car is having trouble passing inspection, mostly due to shennagans with the OBDII diagnostics.

Originally, the car was throwing 9 codes, one of them being the L-Generator Field code. I went ahead and replaced the the main cables coming from the positive terminal of the battery, (discovering that the alternator wire was frayed and corroded in the process) and replaced the alternator with a very weaksauce unit from Autozone. As soon as I made the repairs, the codes cleared up, and the alternator, while giving me some problems at idle, was charging, and after driving around for about 270 miles or so, I went ahead and took it to the inspection station to have the car inspected.

It wound up failing because while the lights were cleared, three of the systems were not ready yet, and that caused me to fail. The guy suggested that I drive around some more, and come back in a few days.

Today, i was heading to school and the SES light blipped on! I went ahead and ran it to the guy to find out what was going on. The inspection machine said two of my systems were still not reading, but I would have passed if it wasn't for the SES light. The SES light, according the the machine, was only for the 02 sensor. When I ran the Predator on it, four faults came up, three for the 02 sensors and the last one was the L-Generator Field.

I need to get the car up to investigate, but right now, I think two things might be causing the problem. The crappy alternator from Autozone, which is showing evidence of becoming progressivly worse, and my optima redtop battery, which is not exactly secured in the stock battery location mounting bracket. (I have a bungee cord holding it down)

So my question is what can I do about this?