General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Service engine light code... Cat gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE: Service engine light code... Cat gone bad?

2001 WS6 with 52,000 miles. About two years ago Service engine light comes on. I took it to Auto Zone to have it scaned, it said catalyst/ plugs are defective (or something along those lines). Car is running fine. I cleared the code. Code didn't return.

Two years later I get the same code. Car runs fine. The manager at Auto Zone recomended Seafoam (I didn't know what it was at the time, I just read the sticky). So I ran a can of Seafoam and filled up the tank. Cleared the code. About a week later I now have a code. I'm assuming it is the same.

Could it be possible the cats are going bad at only 52,000 miles?! Owner's manual says to change the plugs @ 100,000 miles?!

Last edited by m-port-h8r; 09-11-2006 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no expert here, but i wouldnt wait to change the plugs that long. ive got 55k on mine and ill be changing them in a couple of hrs. and i believe theres some type of warranty on the stock cats for up to 80k, so if yours are bad you can get themchanged at the dealer.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

I would suspect a bad rear O2 sensor before a bad cat. Your cat typically will show other symptoms like lack of power, rattling, smelling, etc. I'm pretty sure most cats are warrented 10 years and 80K at least.
I didn't replace my plugs until 112,000 miles and they weren't even that bad then.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cat's go bad all the time, sometimes a lot less than 52K.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Cat. converters are covered by federal emmission for 8 years and 80K miles from the vehicle in service date. FYI
Old 08-25-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it smell like rotten eggs?
Old 08-28-2006, 06:22 AM
Teching In

No rotten egg smell like you would think the cat is going bad. I would think the code would say something about which O2 senser

Maybe I'll just bend over and take it to the dealer
Old 08-28-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

What was the code? Bad cats are P0420 (driver side) P0430 (passenger side).
Old 08-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Teching In

I'll check again and post back. Thanks gentlemen

Edit:

You were correct!!

PO420
cataylst below threshold
bank 1

Even the Auto Zone dude said to take it to the dealer and by law they have to replace the catalytic converter if under 80,000 miles

Thanks again.

Well, if they don't replace it for free, it'll be an excuse to go with LTH and high flow cats

Last edited by m-port-h8r; 08-28-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Teching In

One more note.
I wouldn't think this would have anything to do with it but figured I'd ask.

I just put an SLP lid on this summer. There shouldn't be any reason that would effect anything, correct. I'm just trying to get my story straight before I take it to the dealer and they might say somthin'.

"AHH you got one of those new fangled after market deals, well that voids any warranty indefinately"
Old 08-28-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Na...but put a stock filter in just in case (if you have an oiled one)...leave the code stored. Most dealers will tell you might be an 02, diagnostic fee required, etc. but shouldn't charge anything once they diagnose a bad cat.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by m-port-h8r
I'll check again and post back. Thanks gentlemen

Edit:

You were correct!!

PO420
cataylst below threshold
bank 1

Even the Auto Zone dude said to take it to the dealer and by law they have to replace the catalytic converter if under 80,000 miles

Thanks again.

Well, if they don't replace it for free, it'll be an excuse to go with LTH and high flow cats
If you want to be sure it's either a bad cat or O2 sensor... swap the driver side and passenger side O2 sensors, reset the code and see if you get a P0430. If you do, it's a bad sensor because the code followed the sensor to the passenger side (P0420 = driver side / P0430 = passenger side). If the code comes back as a P0420, you have a bad cat.

I've had both of my cats replaced under the Federal Emissions Warranty (8yrs/80K miles). The last one was replaced about two months ago with 60K miles on my WS6. Oh... I have a Volant CAI on my car, so your lid shouldn't cause any problems. My stealership didn't give me any problems. I told them what code I was getting, what I did to diagnose the problem, and I told them what to do. After they picked their collective jaws up off the floor, they swapped out my cats (didn't even hook up their TechII to scan for codes) and said thanks.

Good luck,
Marc
Old 08-29-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

I had a similiar problem about a month ago, but the check engine light turned off after two weeks. I had the code scanned at autozone, and it was the driver's side. Should I be worried or should I take it to the dealership to have the cat replaced?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
I had a similiar problem about a month ago, but the check engine light turned off after two weeks. I had the code scanned at autozone, and it was the driver's side. Should I be worried or should I take it to the dealership to have the cat replaced?
As I mentioned, I've had both my driver and passenger side stock cats replaced (in that order). Each time, my SES light would come on and go off on its own ocassionally. Usually, I'd simply reset the PCM and watch to see how long it took for it to come back on. It varied. Sometimes a week and sometimes the next day.

I'd suggest taking the car in and getting the cat replaced. Hell... it's free! I'd do it on principle alone. I just love getting the stealership to give something up for free. Particularly when you know that parts and labor would come to well over $400 if you had to pay for it.

Marc
Old 09-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Teching In

Well I took the car to the dealership and they replaced the cat at no charge what so-ever.

I drove about two blocks away and the car seemed to run a little different. Now it smells like rotten eggs New cat smell?

Later that day I got another code: P0151
Passenger side o2 sensor

Last edited by m-port-h8r; 09-11-2006 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:23 AM
Teching In

I started to wonder, why would something happen on the passenger side now?
I jacked up the car to see if maybe they left an o2 connection loose.
The passenger side cat had been replaced, not the driver side
I thought that bank 1 was drivers side:1,3,7 ?

So I pulled both before cat o2 sensors and compared the two.
The drivers side was white and the passengers side was black sooty. I sprayed them with carb cleaner just to see if they would clean up. I thought about swaping the sides but one pig tail was shorter and I didn't think it would reach.

I took the car back to the Zone and now I have: P0151, P1153, P0155, P0174.

I'm thinking about changing the fuel filter and both front o2 sensors and hopefully that will fix it
Old 09-11-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

You had P0420 and they replaced the passenger side cat? Bank 1 IS the drivers side.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

The stealership wants to charge me 80 dollars for check out. (Vista Ridge)

And now apparently GM will only allow my car to be serviced at pontiac stealerships for warranty work???

While my car was under factory and extended warranty, it was serviced at Pontiac, Chevy and Cadillac stealerships.

And the thing is all the pontiac stealerships in Dallas/Forth Worth suck!
Ewing is always trying to charge way too much (ex. double the list price for parts, etc...). Also they do work you did not ask to be done and charge you for it. Any type of warranty work was always an arguement, where they have been known to boldly accuse me of causing the problem.
**** Ewing!
Vista Ridge is full idiots that mis-diagnose problems. They are willing to give a good quote, but then try to charge you more after the fact. Furthermore this stealership just does shitting work, and their paint shop is abesolutely horrible (ex. really bad orange pell, etc..)
Screw them too!
There is another one in Irving, but they never did anything to impress me either.

My engine was on for about a week or so about a month ago and has yet to come back on. Should I still consider taking it to the stealership when they want to charge me 80 dollars if they cat does not throw the code?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

K,...now im pissed!! I just called the dealership and I'm no longer covered by the warranty! I JUST CROSSED THE 100k MILE MARK. I didn't even know about the Fedral Emissions Warranty til today! I feel like such a dumb-**** for not knowing about this earlier.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Sorry for the noob question:

How do you clear the code? I've been throwing that code for quite sometime.

Thanks