General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

help A/C is not working and it is bloody hot!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help A/C is not working and it is bloody hot!!!

The car is not blowin any cold air lately...
I have looked under the car and it seems the compressor is leaking......
I have no clue about engines or anything...
do I have to change the whole compressor with clutch..and could I install this myself?
thanks for yr help!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the compressor isn't coming on cause of low referigerant. Leak might be repairable depending on where it is - get it checked out at a shop and see what they say.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

You can go down to pep boys or something and get one of those recharge kits. I just got one and I don't think it was too expensive. This will let you check the psi in your AC system and if its low and has a small leak, you might be able to buy some refrigerant and recharge it yourself and it should last the rest of the summer.

But if its a big leak or some other problem like the condensor or compressor, you'll have to bring it in and that sucks because fixing AC is never cheap.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:03 AM
Restricted User

thanks !!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

If you get the recharge kit, make sure you get one with a pressure valve and instructions. This is what I got at pep boys and it was on sale so I think I got it even cheaper than this...

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/deta...tion.asp?20359

But this may not fix your problem, I just figure its better to try testing the system yourself for 20 or 30 bucks first.

Good luck.

Edit: I just read the review from some guy on the link I gave you and he says he doesn't like this kit, so you may want to look into it more. There may be better things out there. All I know is that I bought this and an extra can of r134a and was able to recharge my ac because I only have a small leak.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Actually if your AC compressor does not turn on at all then your pressure switch is working properly and you are almost, if not completely, out of gas (refrigerant). I'm not 100% sure about the recharge kits because I do commerical HVAC and I have all the tools that I need to gas up and check my AC system. After looking at the recharge kit in the above link I do not like the fact that you cannot purge your system of the air thats inside of it. Air + 134a = quite a short compressor life. Your best bet is to take it to a mechanic, have him blow it up, leak check, repair, and pay for it. Being that you don't know if you have a small leak or a compressor gasket blown out its good to have the mechanic take a look at it. Unless you know an HVAC guy around the neighborhood that could blow it up with Nitrogen and listen so you know how large of a leak you're dealing with.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

yo Alt i may need you to check mine once i get my motor back together, i dont have any AC and i dont know **** about it...
Old 08-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Restricted User

thanks all for yr help!!!