General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A problem, please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A problem, please help

Alright here is how it went down. Really sorry for the long post (trying to let everyone have a good idea)

Friday I took my K&N filter out and replaced it with a paper filter So I could recharge it. Saturday rolls around and we drive up to daytona to meet up with some friends for food... I did however hit 50,000 on the way up there, sad I know. Sunday afternoon a couple buddies of mine changed my plugs. After the new plugs the car felt better than ever. I drove the car home and parked it in the garage. Monday I drove the car to work and had no problems. came back home and drove to my friend's house and we changed the oil and then I put my K&N filter back in. Drove home that night no problems. Tuesday I drove the car to get some gas because of the great Ernesto coming, everything was fine. Came back home and parked in the garage and left it alone. Wednesday I drove the car to work no problems at all. A few hours later it was time for lunch. I got in my car and fired it up and all of a sudden something wasn't right. The sound wasn't all there, it felt like it wanted to die a bit and the rpm needle was kindy twitchy. I turned it off and waiting a couple minutes and turned it back on and everything seemed okay and I drove it to get something to eat. Now I noticed when I was waiting in traffic and the light turned green I would start driving in first gear and as I climbed the RPM's to change gears the rpm's dropped and came back up (kinda bogged) and i'm like what the heck, I kept driving and got it back to work. Work was all done so I went to the car and started it up and drove it home and it didn't feel like anyproblems except it kinda did another bog like in the previous lines.

Anyway I got it home, got on another forum and asked about it and someone mentioned that it could be my maf, that some of the K&N oil got on it. So i took it apart and I didn't see anything on the maf but i cleaned it with electric cleaner and waited till it all dried and put it all back together and started the car. Everything seemed okay, so i left it alone. This morning (8/31/06) I wake up and start the car and its acting like it did yesterday before I went to lunch. I immediatly turned the car off to run to my house to crap my camera to get a video of what its doing exactly. I restarted the car and nothing, it seems fine again. Took the car out for alittle spin and of course it bogged alittle again, this time something new happend. I was waiting in traffic and I look at my guages and saw that my temp guage needle shot all the way down to 100, then back up to the middle line and a bit back down and finally coming back to the middle line.

So now thats where I am right now, frustrated, confused. So here is what i'm thinking?

1) Something to do with my spark plug change
2) Could I have gotten bad gas?
3) Maybe some oil did get on my maf, but i checked and nothing?

Again sorry for the long post, but please someone point me in the right direction.

Last edited by Art Vandaley; 08-31-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

bump please...
Old 08-31-2006, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Is it throwing any codes? Is taking it to a mechanic out of the question?
Old 08-31-2006, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Could be Throttle position sensor or idle sensor, that's all I can think of other than EGR and I don't even remember if 99 has it.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Other than that it could be something stupid such as clogged intake or exhaust/converter. Once I had a muffler with a broken baffle and it idled like ****, I couldn't understand why cuz no service engine soon light I thought it was missing real bad but took it to a mechanic after I was all out of ideas and he found it was a baffle blown out clogging the muffler.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

I don't think it's bad gas, the gas would have to be really really bad to make it act like that. Maybe really old gas but it sounds like you drive it daily.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

I haven't thrown any codes, I know when my buddies changed my plugs they disconnected the stuff to get to the plugs but I believe they put it back, maybe they didn't connect it all the way.. I do drive it daily, I know it has to be simple, it was running like a champ.. thanks guys for the replies.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

To do the plugs we disconnected the EGR running to the exhaust manifold. All the plugs were installed correctly and the wires all reconnected properly. There isnt a miss with the car so Im sure it isnt that.

This afternoon he was on his way to my house and had to turn around cause the car died on him completely twice. Gas gauge says 1/4 tank. He put gas in it and says the car hasnt had a problem, drives fine again. I want to switch out his cluster w/ a spare that I have and see what happens since most of the problems are coming from the cluster (needles flickering, possible gas gauge is wrong)

But this doesnt explain the car cutting off. I drove it and came from a dead stop, went to get on it a lil to turn onto a road and it cut off to dead idle, then 2 secs. later came back. It sometimes does the same in other gears such as 4th or 5th if you get on it while cruising. Any other guesses based on this new info?
Old 09-02-2006, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

BTW- Im taking it to a friend that has HPtuners, EFILive, Moates and whatever else to do a drive w/ the car and see if the tuners can pick up whats wrong w/ the car. Maybe its electrical?
Old 09-04-2006, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

Alright KC and his friend told me to check the coolant temp sensor and it was broken. I bought a new one and everything seems to be running like a champ.. thanks guys. I will let you know more tomorrow to see if everything is still good. Thanks everyone.. Thanks KC