General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is it my battery or alt. or even a lose wire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 05:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it my battery or alt. or even a lose wire?

What do you guys think, Yesterday I was driving my car on the highway and I noticed that when I accelarate the battery volts gauge goes pretty low. Low enough that the check gauges light comes on and off. The check gauges light also blinks when I hit a dip or something like that. Then all of a sudden it stopped doing it and like an hour later it started again. What do you guys thinkn it could be?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Regular

I noticed you have the U/D pulley on her. Go by Autozone, and have them do a test on your charging system. It'll test the battery and alternator, and at least rule them out.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the little red wire that is attached to the top of the alternator
Old 09-07-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by staringback05
check the little red wire that is attached to the top of the alternator
Im having the same problem with this car I am working on. I checked the battery and the alternator and they are both good. I think it is the wire, so what would I have to do? Replace that wire?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

First maqke sure that the nut pressing the wire to the alternator is tight so the wire has good contact. Had that problem, it would randomly get low voltage from the bad contact.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

I have the same problem ... except when i am accelerating , the volts go up to 13/14... but when i pus the clutch in or come to a stop/idle, it drops down and the check guages light comes on. It has to do with the battery /alternator , im just trying to figure out which one it is without having to take it to autozone and risk it going out on the way there. thanks
Old 09-16-2006, 12:48 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I had this issue with my '98 Z28. Voltage would drop way down when I would accelerate or brake torque the motor; I'd get the flickering check gages light as well. Odd thing was, free revving in park/neurtal would not duplicate the condition, nor would accelerating in reverse.

Battery was replaced with a new Delco unit, and alternator was replaced with a rebuilt GM/Delco unit from the dealer. Problem still continued. All wiring connectoins were good. That little red wire was fine, the plug was good and the wire was not damaged; it seemed to be making a fine connection, and playing with/tugging on that wire would not duplicate the condition.

Only thing I noticed was that the woven copper ground wire/strap that runs from the block to the frame near the alternator was actually resting on the alternator case. All I did was move that ground wire off and away from the alternator and the problem vanished instantly. Never came back (knocking on wood). My only guess is that somehow when the motor was under heavy load (acceleration) and the motor would torque it would cause that ground strap to grind along the alternator case and somehow disrupt voltage. Sounds pretty far fetched, but moving that wire was the only thing I needed to do to fix the problem.

So my advice would be to check that ground wire and make sure it's not touching the alternator.