General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 04-29-2016, 05:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

A/C stuck on defrost on all settings??not blowing out of dash vents(face) on any mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C stuck on defrost on all settings??not blowing out of dash vents(face) on any mode

ok so heres my problem, i go to crank up the a/c today and notice that its not coming out of the vents in the dash. The air is not hitting my face at all...only shooting out for defrost(windshield) and the floor(feet area)...all settings do this and i heard that it could be a vacuum problem with the a/c "doors" that arent moving to the right position or possibly a fuse/relay gone physcho...thats the best i could come up with so far with search. Now that this happened im wondering what causes this and why this goes to this setting on all modes, is it like a "safe mode" telling you somethings wrong?? kinda like when u have a blown turn signal how it stays on ALL the time without blinking... THANKS IN ADVANCE need help ASAP b/c its either really hot here in miami, or raining really hard and i need my windows up with a/c ON ...
Old 09-04-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, believe that's the "default mode" if you have a vacuum leak. Usually it's a hose behind the intake...there's another hose going towards the airbox on the passenger side too.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine is doing the same thing only it's set on the ac vents and i can't get air out of the defroster vents.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lay on your back and get behind the dash with your had. The vacum behind the controls probly came out. Friends TA had the same problem and I just felt back with my hand, snaped it back in and the a minute or 2 later when the vacum built up again it worked. So check that out
Old 09-05-2006, 12:54 AM
Restricted User

thanks alot i will def. do that when it stops raining 2morrow morning ill keep u guys posted if it was that or just a stupid fuse/relay
Old 09-05-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's probably need to replace the valve that controls the airflow.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=diaphram
Old 09-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Restricted User

yea thats the thread i looked at earlier in the week but need some more info than that...but i guess this is enough to solve my lil problem..ill see when i can go outside and check it out cuz it hasnt stopped raining here
Old 09-22-2006, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Had the same problem, found it was a small hose not plugged in right over the left header.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

My car did that a couple weeks ago. It was blowing fine than all of a sudden it's only blowing out the defrost. I turned it off for a couple minutes then turned it back on and it worked fine.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my car is doing the exact same thing that the orginal poster said. I would like to fix it. but there are a lot of hoses under that hood.....
Old 09-23-2006, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Got in my car last night after I posted about how my car did that once. And it happened again. So now I'm gonna have to fix to. It's cold out now and I don't want my baby to freeze.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Restricted User

ok so yea i havent posted back, because my car appparently fixed itself??? i dont know how the hell but its working fine now.. ill post back later, if anything strange happens again im tearing the center console apart and looking for hoses

Quick Reply: A/C stuck on defrost on all settings??not blowing out of dash vents(face) on any mode