General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

oil change intervals

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil change intervals

I drive a 00 Z28 camaro, I have always changed oil and filter every 3000 miles. This is my first car that has a a change oil light. I have drove 3400 miles since my last oil change, and the light has not come on. I'm contemplating changing it. How do you guys go about it? Wait until the light comes on and change it, or go by mileage? Does the oil life sensor monitor RPM or miles driven. A friend of mine told me if I change the oil before the light comes on that I'm wasting money on oil. Thanks guys.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the oil change light is only calculated on mileage and such not on how dirty the oil really is. change the oil every 3000 miles. if you need tor eset the light put the key to the on position and hold the trip reset in till the oil change light flashes twice thent ake the key all the way out, put it back in and crank the car
Old 09-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks
Old 09-17-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

here to help
Old 09-17-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Changing modern oil in a stock car every 3000 miles is an evil conspiracy concocted by oil companies to sell you more oil. On the other hand, if you use nitrous, alcohol, or forced induction you may have much quicker oil contamination. Unless you are a hardcore racer, or a psycho that tosses sand into his motor, just wait till after the light comes on.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

i dunno about yall but my oil gets dirty after 3k and we get oil pretty damn cheap so i change mine every 3k miles.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

I usually wait about 3-4k miles after the light comes on in my '02 silverado before changing oil. This procedure has worked for 216k miles so far, over 100k of that with a blower. That procedure worked in the '99 sierra for 250k miles before getting the '02. BTW, the '99 was still running fine. I changed the break-in oil on my turboed '04 gto at about 2500 miles, and I just did the next oil change today at 14k miles. The only reason I can think of to change oil as often as 3000 is if you run quaker state.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

i use 10-40 and it doesnt bother me changing it @ 3k. i got access to free oil, a lift a whole damn body shop and epace of mind knowing its nice and clean
Old 09-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Launching!

The change oil light is calculated with an algorithm that engineers have designed using things like mileage, time, trip distance, engine temp, and many other factors. GM states that most drivers will see this light activate around 7-8000 miles, some will be less, some will reach 15000 before the light comes on. The GM light has shown to be very good at recommending oil change intervals. As stated before, unless you are a completely racer using alcohol and other things, the 3000 mile interval is a waste of both time and money.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gametech
Changing modern oil in a stock car every 3000 miles is an evil conspiracy concocted by oil companies to sell you more oil. On the other hand, if you use nitrous, alcohol, or forced induction you may have much quicker oil contamination. Unless you are a hardcore racer, or a psycho that tosses sand into his motor, just wait till after the light comes on.
Have to agree there. I went to a shop to get my oil changed once and ask the mechanic (ASE certified BTW) about the difference between Synthetic oil and regular oil. He didn't go into much detail but told me that he had seen a woman driving a cadillac come in to get her oil changed and wanted Mobil 1. After changing her oil, he didn't see her again for 15,000 miles! Mobil 1 did not make extended life oil at the time. He said he was pretty sure he would have to pop the drain plug and chip out the oil because it had probably turned into jelly, but to his surprise, after pulling the plug all 5 qts drained right out and didn't seem too burnt or thick. He said all general oil is good for at least 4,000 miles but oil companys tell you to have your car back to get it changed in 3,000 because they know people will push the limits and go over 3K before they return to change it. My oil change light has come on once in 2 and a half years of owning my car.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Mr David
Have to agree there. I went to a shop to get my oil changed once and ask the mechanic (ASE certified BTW) about the difference between Synthetic oil and regular oil. He didn't go into much detail but told me that he had seen a woman driving a cadillac come in to get her oil changed and wanted Mobil 1. After changing her oil, he didn't see her again for 15,000 miles! Mobil 1 did not make extended life oil at the time. He said he was pretty sure he would have to pop the drain plug and chip out the oil because it had probably turned into jelly, but to his surprise, after pulling the plug all 5 qts drained right out and didn't seem too burnt or thick. He said all general oil is good for at least 4,000 miles but oil companys tell you to have your car back to get it changed in 3,000 because they know people will push the limits and go over 3K before they return to change it. My oil change light has come on once in 2 and a half years of owning my car.
what i've heard - something that most people don't know - is that old mobil 1 is the 15,000 mile stuff.

mobil found out their synthetic could run for 15,000 miles, so they put a 15,000 mile life on it and jacked the price up $3/quart and created a cheaper oil and marketed as regular mobil 1.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My oil change light has come on once in 2 and a half years of owning my car.

My oil change light comes on around 2500 miles, does that mean I'm driving hard?
Old 09-17-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i change my oil when it gets dirty. this is usually between 3-4k, but the car gets DRIVEN...no pussyfooting here.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

I've never seen a Cadillac that only takes 5 quarts of oil.

I change my oil every 3000 miles. Makes me sleep better at night.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=HeapaShifter]I've never seen a Cadillac that only takes 5 quarts of oil.

I almost cried when I change the oil in the Pontiac with the Northstar for the first time...those babies take 8 quarts! Even if it wasn't mobil 1 it would have been an expensive change
Old 09-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HeapaShifter
I've never seen a Cadillac that only takes 5 quarts of oil.

I change my oil every 3000 miles. Makes me sleep better at night.
Well I'm not claiming that the guy was the best at calculating the amount of oil. I'm sure he rounded it off.

As far as my oil change light hardly ever coming on. I drove my car 200 miles home from Ft. Bragg and 200 miles back every weekend. It didn't get driven hard during those times. It was all highway and interstate miles.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it seems like after i change my oil the light comes on dont really know why but all i do is turn the car to the on position and put gas pedal to the floor 3 times and the light goes off. but mine gets changed ever prob 2000-2500 miles with full synthetic. thinking bout doing the royal purple this go around.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I usually wait around 5k with the royal purple stuff. I always check it because I usually have to add a little because of the oil consumption

Quick Reply: oil change intervals