General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pinion seal

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Pinion seal

The pinion seal on my 95 T/A and 2000 SS are both leaking and before I tear into this will I be able to just pull the driveline and pinion nut, pop the seal out and pop the new one and go? or will I have to pull the carrier? Thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe there is a certain amount of preload that needs to be applied on the pinion nut. I always scribe a line from the yoke to the pinion nut so that I know its torqued back to what it was. Im sure theres a better way to do it but it always worked for me
Old 02-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"#2 Permatex Form A Gasket Sealant NON-Hardening PLIABLE SEALANT". This is the key to making this a successful job.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nomasterase
I believe there is a certain amount of preload that needs to be applied on the pinion nut. I always scribe a line from the yoke to the pinion nut so that I know its torqued back to what it was. Im sure theres a better way to do it but it always worked for me
^^this! most important step of the whole process or else youll be taking it All apart and be replacing the crush sleeve because you tightened it too much.

when it gets to the point where it seems tight, check your scribe mark that you made that shows the nut to pinion correlation...its gona get REALLL tight, and tough to make it tighter.. but whatever you do do not pass this mark you made. periodically check to see where your marks stand.

other than that..its a real breeze doing pinion seals...dosent hurt to ut some sealant on the outer side of the seal, the steel part, and some pipe dope on the splines of the pinion so fluid dont come through there neither.

G.L.

Quick Reply: Pinion seal