General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another unusual not starting problem. Clicks, no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Another unusual not starting problem. Clicks, no start

So ive been chasing this problem for a while now and ive torn the whole car apart and have had no luck. Its intermittent.
My battery is located in the rear of the car with a 0 gauge running to the AUX port on the fuse box. With a 1' 0 gauge ground coming from the battery. The motor is also grounded to the chassis twice.

When i go to turn over the car i just get a CLICK. and nothing if i keep doing it i will get lucky and it will turn over. If i jump the starter relay in the fuse box NOTHING. Ive also disabled VATs by grounding the yellow and black wire going to the BCM. still nothing.

Its a brand new starter, brand new battery. I Have the starter running a 4 gauge wire from it to the alternator, back to the AUX port where the main power feed comes in from the trunk.

The car is a th400 so ive checked all my clutch switches and i have them wired together so i know its not that, and if it was. it still wouldnt be sending power to the solenoid on the starter. For some reason i think its in the fuse box but ive changed relays and fuses still nothing...

Im running out of ideas. any help gurus?
Old 02-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's an intermittant problem but when it acts up have you checked for power at the purple wire (small wire) at starter to see if you have power in the crank position? If you do and the large battery wire is tight and you have proper ground then the starter is bad...If you have checked this please disregard, just trying to help.

Chris
Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i havent actually checked i figured the clicking noise was the solenoid turning over on the starter (purple wire)

where does that wire run to? straight to the pcm?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

Unfortunately I can't answer your above question, but I have another question for you. Do you get ONE distinct CLICK when you go to start it, or is it a rapid clicking? If/when it happens again I'd poke around the starter with a test light, then check the rest of your wiring. By no means an expert here, but it's worth a shot.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

id maybe consider checking your ground..to test this if you got a long jumper cable of some sort, run it from your batt in the back, to your original battery ground that goes under the hood and see if it has a problem starting.

i too have relocated my batt and had this problem and this wound up being the culprit...a bad ground
Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice advice ill do that. thanks. and no its one quick CLICK not a rapid click like a dead battery
Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where do you have ur battery grounded?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is your battery holding charge? Yes, even a new battery could not hold a charge.
Check wires going to your starter also.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

battery holds charge all wires are good. im gonna test out a long ground and ground it from the battery to the block.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Did you resolve your problem? If you need Starting and Charging Schematic let me know I will scan it and email it to you. Also when you have problem have you tried starting vehicile in neutral? I know it's a stretch but I have seen Park/Neutral Position Switches do some crazy things. Checking the grounds as you mentioned above very good idea too.

Chris
Old 02-11-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes i dont have any neutral switch hooked up. id like to see ur email schematic tho... i think it is a ground issue i plan on running new ground from the battery, its working for now tho....
Old 02-11-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FasTimeSS
yes i dont have any neutral switch hooked up. id like to see ur email schematic tho... i think it is a ground issue i plan on running new ground from the battery, its working for now tho....
Old 02-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

are you sure your starter isnt bad man?? get it out and get it bench tested.. chances are its just a bad new starter

Last edited by ccrook19; 02-13-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typoz
Old 02-13-2012, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

starter is good, we bench tested it.

its still having this PROBLEM.

ran a new ground from the battery to chassis. no go

after that i ran a ground from the battery in the rear to the block. still no go.

once out of 10 times it will start, any help plz......
Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE:
Car will start everytime if i jump start it. which is werid because the car has a good battery and good connections.

but the only solution i can come up with to why it will start if its jumped, is that the actual battery is not goood or i dont have a good connection. but the thing is I DO have a good connection on the battery.

Any help?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FasTimeSS
UPDATE:
Car will start everytime if i jump start it. which is werid because the car has a good battery and good connections.

but the only solution i can come up with to why it will start if its jumped, is that the actual battery is not goood or i dont have a good connection. but the thing is I DO have a good connection on the battery.

Any help?

Not sure how this is possible unless your battery is bad. How do you know it is good? Did you have it tested? Maybe try swapping batteries just to see what happens?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Not sure how this is possible unless your battery is bad. How do you know it is good? Did you have it tested? Maybe try swapping batteries just to see what happens?
i will try this tomrw. when this first started i put in a brand new battery and had this SAME issue even with a new battery
Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its werid. NOW when u turn the key you just get a *Click*.....

every ten times or so itll turn over. the volts are good on the aux port and the actual battery. if i jump start it, it turns over everytime.