General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

58 DTC's. I'm guessing its a bad ground. help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 58 DTC's. I'm guessing its a bad ground. help?

yup, i hooked up a tech 2 yesterday because my car was running like *** and i pulled up 58 diagnostic trouble codes. MAF, IAC, ECT, TPS. the whole shabang. I know the sensors work, does anyone know if they have a common ground? i did my plugs and wires a couple days ago, and it started running like crap after that. Is there anything around that area that i could have knocked off?
Old 10-05-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you need to find someone with HPtuners or a similar program to delete the codes and then see if they come back. but when you delete them your car should def run alot better atleast mine did.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can clear codes with a Tech 2....

I would suggest tracing the wiring harness grounds..

The wiring harness has 3 grounds connected to two separate bolts on the back of the drivers side cylinder head. I had similar problems and it was because the p/o swapped heads and relocated the grounds to the valve cover. Its not uncommon for one of the ring terminals on the ground wires to break off. Unfortunately for me, my hands were too large and I had to remove my intake manifold to get back there.

GL
Old 10-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i figured out that my ECT was defaulting to -36 degrees C and that was causing my car to run like ***. fixed that and my car is running better. i did fry a spark plug because i was running really rich for about 100 miles. lol
Old 10-06-2006, 01:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you fried a plug, check your o2s also....they might not be out, but they could be in bad shape, after running rich