General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

water in rear floorboard both sides

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in rear floorboard both sides

I'm not sure just how I got water in the floorboard behind both the passenger and drivers seats, but they were soaked under the mats. There were no signs of water from above, t-tops were fine and seats were dry, along w/ roof liner, anybody heard or seen this issue? I have a 2002 Z28.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

Was the car parked at an angle?
Old 10-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

If you had the a/c running, I would check and see if the evaporator drain is plugged. If it was plugged, then all the condensation would fill up in the case and drain into the car.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by streetracerdei8
I'm not sure just how I got water in the floorboard behind both the passenger and drivers seats, but they were soaked under the mats. There were no signs of water from above, t-tops were fine and seats were dry, along w/ roof liner, anybody heard or seen this issue? I have a 2002 Z28.
my brother in laws hardtop 2002 also does that when he parks at angle at the top of his drive way with no signs of water coming down from up top and only after it rains so it's not the a/c

Last edited by 94Z28Joe; 10-14-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

I have heard of this b4, I believe it has to do with the seams between the quarter panels and the inner structure,around the hatch area.Small cracks in the body sealer i believe,anyone have more info on this? I can't remember where i have read on this,but it does happen on some f-bods
Old 10-14-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your t-tops might seem like there ok....but ive had the same issue....during a heavy rain the water actually came down the passanger side and soaked the rear floor....you cant really see it.....
Old 10-14-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

im guessing the T's or..
Originally Posted by BULLET99Z28
I have heard of this b4, I believe it has to do with the seams between the quarter panels and the inner structure,around the hatch area.Small cracks in the body sealer i believe,anyone have more info on this? I can't remember where i have read on this,but it does happen on some f-bods
its that, try taking your rear trim out and watch those seams with a buddy spraying everything with a hose, or wait for the next rain
Old 10-15-2006, 06:17 AM
TECH Resident

Its common if the car is parked at an angle, thats why I asked.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Teching In

yeah parked at a slight angle, facing down a slight hill. also, i believe it came from a heavy rain we had here. interested in finding out about the gaps in the body though...
Old 10-17-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same **** happened to me yesterday..its your t-tops (i think you have t tops right?). theres a thread on here about a fix that might work for you...
Old 11-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Teching In

still have a leak, thought it was t-tops at first maybe, so checked to make sure gaskets were straight, they were as a leaky t-top fix post stated. i do park at an angle where nose of car facing slightly down. no trace of water anywhere, but in the rear. pulled rear seats, water under those too. so definitely leaking in rear. if its true that where i read water can pool and back up into the rear floor boards, is there a remedy for this other than parking w/ nose up which might not always be an option.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

look up some of my psots ahving to do with this issue, ive done figured out 2 major causes of it, both of which NOT t-top related
Old 11-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Launching!

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago too. I couldn't figure it out. Come to find out that my wife left the windows down during a storm.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Teching In

that sucks. well i'm kinda pissed so just going to replace all carpet and padding before something starts to smell worse or rust. anybody have any experience w/ this such as where to get carpet, tips on replacement etc. hopefully i can pull back interior panels and trace leak as well simulating parking with nose facing down a hill maybe to add silicone to keep it flowing back.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

summitracing.com buy a simple replacment carpet. DONT aprkw tih the nose pointing down. water pools in the hatch area and voerflows into the back. big no no. also add some silicone to all the weather stripping around the harch. sometimes it gets loose and comes off the lip when you close the hatch.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, I am having the same problem right now with my car and I also park on a slight down slope. It rained pretty good the other day and when i went out to my car the floor boards had standing water in them and underneath the back seats. I was told by my local body shop that it is common with the f-bodies and when you park on a slope it pools up in the hatch and will seep through the seams. So when it enters the car it actually comes from behind the panels in the car and you can't see it until it pools up in the floor board. If you lift up your driverside floor mat after you have driven somewhere you will probably have a small wet spot where the heels of your feet rest on the floor. BTW I don't think it's absolutley necessary to replace the carpet (you can have it cleaned), but you will need to replace the padding.

Last edited by JT LS1; 11-03-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Teching In

thanks, btw, what is the official color code and description from GM on the dark gray carpet they had in 2002? by the washing thing, i thought about it but i'm just meticulous and w/ the smell and hopefully no mold i'll just take the leak aka flood as lesson learned, fix it and move on. want that new car smell back not musty nasty i'm getting now. plus the previous owner in only 30,000 miles wore a spot in the carpet by the gas pedel and a couple small rust spots formed where the back seats were at after getting wet
Old 11-04-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

were you driving in rain..there are 2 plugs-1 on each side under carpet.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Teching In

nope, didn't drive in rain, plugs are there though and sealed. They'll definitely hold water for sure, i had to pop them loose and drain the back under seats and in floor in back
Old 11-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Teching In

anybody have any experience or how do these places sound for carpet: www.stockinteriors.com and http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Carpets for auto carpet direct. I'm looking at those places too....

Quick Reply: water in rear floorboard both sides