General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-27-2016, 01:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

T-top maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-top maintenance?

Whats the best maintenance for T-tops to prevent against leaks and such? I heard a friend say once to lubricate them a few times a year? Anyone have experience with this? What kind of lubrication do you use? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its a gm lubricant. its die-electric grease, it moisturizes the weather stripping and helps it seal better.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Where exactly do you get it or can you order it from? And thanks for the info
Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

get a couple packs of di-electric grease from napa or vatozone and have at the weather stripping.

i do it to my doors and hatch once a month. heat will rott them out when dry for too long.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Cool, thanks, and vatozone, you mean autozone right?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

the grease will work you wonders....along with the fact you need to take them off every now and then...so they dont warp
Old 10-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Teching In

had a 2002 Trans Am WS6. The first rain I was in, the T-Top leaked at eash rear ourside corner or at least thats where the water started dripping. Leaking T-Top are to be expected. I read in my manual to not use car washs because the pressure can deform the seals and cause leaks.

I doubt there is one out there that does not leak. If you do manage to stop if from leaking, it will have a leak again the next time you remove the top.

Something you have to live with T-Top. One thing to try is, silicon spray on the rubber. You should do that often to keep them soft. Look in the owners manual for the recommend lubricant.

Treat your roof as you would the rest of your car and it should last you a lifetime!

Windex or other standard ammonia based glass cleaners and a soft cloth work fine for normal cleaning. We do not recommend paper towels. For protection you may apply standard paste/liquid car wax. Avoid cleaner wax since it will most likely contain abrasives that may damage the hard coating of the lens.

The lens on your new roof is made from SAR (Super Abrasion Resistant) hard coated acrylic. Which, in other words, is plastic. Since plastics can be affected by heat we ask you try and keep your roof as cool as possible to maximize it’s life expectancy. On hot sunny days try to park under shade and keep your windows slightly opened to allow hot air to ventilate from the interior.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have been using a old toothbrush and puting some black magic on the rubber. Been doing this for the past years and my top does not leak.

And mothers back to black works great to take off the water spots on the black t-bar.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:51 PM

Does anyone know how to get the handle and cover off so that you can lube the latch system within the t-top?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Available at any GM dealer in a small tube for less than $10. Best thing you can use.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to get off topic here but has anyone done anything to get them to stop rattling? My driver's side T-top is driving me crazy. I haven't tried anything yet so just wondering if there is something that can be put on them for this or a tightening up/adjustment that can be made? Oh yeah, sub frame connectors helped some but not much. Thanks for any experience on this. Nate
Old 05-30-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

baby oil folks!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
Not to get off topic here but has anyone done anything to get them to stop rattling? My driver's side T-top is driving me crazy. I haven't tried anything yet so just wondering if there is something that can be put on them for this or a tightening up/adjustment that can be made? Oh yeah, sub frame connectors helped some but not much. Thanks for any experience on this. Nate

theres a way you can adjust the locking thing. jsut not sure how to do it
Old 06-07-2007, 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by johnfedrer
had a 2002 Trans Am WS6. The first rain I was in, the T-Top leaked at eash rear ourside corner or at least thats where the water started dripping. Leaking T-Top are to be expected. I read in my manual to not use car washs because the pressure can deform the seals and cause leaks.

I doubt there is one out there that does not leak. If you do manage to stop if from leaking, it will have a leak again the next time you remove the top.

Something you have to live with T-Top. One thing to try is, silicon spray on the rubber. You should do that often to keep them soft. Look in the owners manual for the recommend lubricant.

Treat your roof as you would the rest of your car and it should last you a lifetime!

Windex or other standard ammonia based glass cleaners and a soft cloth work fine for normal cleaning. We do not recommend paper towels. For protection you may apply standard paste/liquid car wax. Avoid cleaner wax since it will most likely contain abrasives that may damage the hard coating of the lens.

The lens on your new roof is made from SAR (Super Abrasion Resistant) hard coated acrylic. Which, in other words, is plastic. Since plastics can be affected by heat we ask you try and keep your roof as cool as possible to maximize it’s life expectancy. On hot sunny days try to park under shade and keep your windows slightly opened to allow hot air to ventilate from the interior.
Who is we?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tainted
its a gm lubricant. its die-electric grease, it moisturizes the weather stripping and helps it seal better.
GM part #12345579
That number is straight from the owner's manual. I just picked up a tube at the dealer the other day. $8 or so. It's the same grease you use in your spark plug boots.

Quick Reply: T-top maintenance?