General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Why Did The 99z Come

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why Did The 99z Come

why did the 99z come with green coolant instead of dex-cool? reason im asking is i was planning on a coolant flush and was curious about it, is it safe to use the prestone flushing sytem with the t-tip where you cut the hose and put it in between the hose you cut, to link it then flushing your sytem with the garden hose. my question is it safe to do the flush with the garden hose then let the radiator drain off thru the bottom fitting and fill with pre mixed green antifreeze? if not how do i do it i need a how to do this quick guys i need to do this soon my coolant is like yuck ..lol seriously it needs to be flushed soon as possible but i need ot know how to do it correctly where as i dont have to worry about that will hurt the system......please help people thanks ...........
Old 12-02-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you plan to switch to Dex-Cool, I'd ALMOST recommend having it done professionally. Just because if it's not all out, ***** gonna hit the fan. Now, if people here have had alot of good luck with just hosing it all out, then go for it. I'm sure with that kit, and it running with the heater on, it'd be alright. I'd let it run for a good 30 minutes like that though. Just my personal opinion, better safe and waste some gas, than sorry and have to have **** replaced or worse, a motor. Dex is better though, cools and lubrication is superior.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Well GM started putting Dex-Cool in cars starting in 1996. Thus your 99Z should have it. I agree with Formula350 to have the coolant swap done professionally.

I did the coolant switch on my 1995 Monte Carlo Z34 a few years ago and had no issues.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

well my moneys tight being x-mas is up on us like a bat outta hell..lol and i dont have to use that prestone kit i can put it on my 94z lol (green stuff) anyhow i just want to make it right, is there a way to flush it out correctly with all the gunk gone and put dex-cool in my ride so im happy .....please tell me there is heck throw up a how too...i've been searching but everythings bits and pieces of a dex-cool flush ?? HELP!!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 99's did come with the orange Dex Cool. If your coolant is green, a previous owner changed it. The best way to get all the green coolant out is go someplace that has a coolant flush machine.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by HeapaShifter
The 99's did come with the orange Dex Cool. If your coolant is green, a previous owner changed it. The best way to get all the green coolant out is go someplace that has a coolant flush machine.
agreed....as said above..it came with DEXCOOL...
Old 12-02-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

whats so great about dex cool
Old 12-02-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

ARGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! i hate it when somehting ok and they go and change it im glad i asked on here cause in my head it didnt make since either, i figured someone changed it out that sucks ....well im gonna fix that soon as i can! thanks all
Old 12-03-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

I have the green stuff too! I was wondering this same thing...why dont I have dex cool? I wonder why the other owner would change it. Isnt dexcool supposed to be better?
Old 12-03-2006, 02:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ok heres the deal on what will happen if you mix the two. one is ethylene glycol based and the other is propylene glycol based. when the two are mixed, they form a chemical reaction which tends to eat away at aluminum parts.. i.e. block and heads. BUT, this is a very slow process which would occur over months, not minutes. take your time, save some money, and do it yourself. just buy a 5 or 6 gallons of DISTILLED water (total $6). drain all your coolant, and fill it up with ONLY the water. turn on your heater. let it run for 15 minutes. drain the water. water coming out should have a VERY SLIGHT green tint (this is what was left in the heads) now your car is drained, but there is still water in the heads with a LITTLE BIT of the green in it. fill it up again with only water and repeat the same steps as last time. now drain it. you should see no green. now you can fill up with the orange. depending on where you live, you might want to add more/ less water. water cools better than antifreeze, but antifreeze obviously lowers the freezing point. since i live in california, i use 70% water 30% antifreeze. if you live in alaska it would be the opposite. usually it is 50/50 though. good luck. oh btw, all of you have the green just because people are idiots. its human nature
Old 12-03-2006, 03:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

dexcool is "better" because it is 1/3 as toxic as the other stuff. other than that, theres no noticeable difference. and no you dont even need to buy the kit. there is a drain **** on the bottom of the radiator on the pass. side where you drain it from.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea i flushed my 94z the other day shes all green now lol just wanted to be sure on the dex-cool before i f up something lol now im happy i know i can do it easily plus i think im gonna pour some flush and cleaner ( advance sells it in the white bottle forgot the name it starts with a z i think ) in it to clean it out good and refill with water again flush and then give it the dex-cool later after im all done with the water flushing... thanks for the info by the way!!
Old 12-10-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

dont use a water hose, (i.e. tap water) this will give you problems as well. it should cost you around 80 bucks to have a good shop do it.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It came with it because the previous owner knew what crap dexcool is and did not mind changing coolant every year or two. Just leave it and change with fresh green stuff it will be fine.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Kiler LS1 is right on about flushing. you can alos remove the plugs on the side of the block if you want too. I did not remove mine when I change mine. Just fill and flush couple times.

BTW: I use blue coolant in mine. Better than Dexcool (wont sludge) and it is compatible w/aluminum and magnesium.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was planning on flushing it with distilled water totally clear and then flush and cleaner added too it then flush the system again with distilled twice till clear again then with whatevers left of the distilled water in the block, mix with dexcool thru the radiator til full then check the ratio with a radiator tester.........
Old 12-11-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Deff get that green stuff out. Mixing is a very bad mix that iv seen eat away gaskets.I would say compleatly flush out the green and refill with dex-cool. Also have a shop use a back flush machine you'll get better results.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why not use some of the stuff that mixes with everything?