General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlight motor broken?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight motor broken?

To start off I did the quick fix did not work (both sides were stripped). Ordered Brass gear, while the brass gear was on its way here we got a big snow/ice storm [the whole time before this my car was growling at people(making the crappy grinding noise of the stripped gear slipping)]. Well when I wiped all the snow off my car I tried putting my headlights up and my working one came up fine but the other one did not come up at all or even make a sound (worked fine the night before besides the noise of course). I blew it off as maybe I just couldnt hear it cause it has been windy outside and whatnot. Well I got the gear in two days ago, fixed her up and clamped the gear for 24 hours put everything back in and together today, turned my switch to make the headlights go up...nothing. Doesnt move, make a sound, nada. What could be wrong? Could the motor have craped out? By the way I have a 1998 Trans Am with around 76k on it. Didnt wanna drop 160 bucks for a new motor if somthing else could be done to fix it easier
Old 12-06-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. could be your gears...in that case front for some metal ones....2. could be ice in the gears....crazy as it sounds ive seen water get down in gears and freeze
Old 12-07-2006, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

gears...which gears? in the headlight motor? probably not ice on the gears I clamped it up for 24 hours inside (if your talking about gears in the headlight). any other ideas?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are the gears that make them go up and down......the motor itself could be going bad however to like u were thinkn earlier....theres not much to head lights besides the motors and gears
Old 12-08-2006, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

Can anyone help me find a diagram or picture of the actual motor broken open and what its suppose to look like. I cant find one...
Old 12-08-2006, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

anyone?
Old 12-23-2006, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by baldwintpenguin
Can anyone help me find a diagram or picture of the actual motor broken open and what its suppose to look like. I cant find one...
+1