General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering knuckle rubbing headers, help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering knuckle rubbing headers, help!

After my long tube Pacesetter install my steering knuckle is rubbing on my headers. I'd probably only have to move it 1/2". I've read it might be my rack and pinion were replaced at some point w/ one meant for a V6 Camaro. But I really don't feel like replacing it. So I'm wondering if anyone has fabricated a way around it. I work at a machine shop and own a welder... So if anyone could help me out with some designs or pictures that would be cool. Thanks
Old 12-11-2006, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need a BFH, lol. good luck with it
Old 12-12-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wait a second. You have a v6 r&P on your car? The v6 coupler is a rag joint. If you have the rag joing coupler, ditch it for the LS1 double u joint coupler. It is slimmer, and less prone to catastrophic failure.

If you have that coupler already, get a v8 rack. There are two of them, of two different ratios. More importantly, the output of the boxes is slightly different. I do not remember the exact angle, but one is a steeper pitch to the steering shaft than the other. Fool around with those combinations until you get something that clears. No need to hammer anything just yet.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by lo_jack
Wait a second. You have a v6 r&P on your car? The v6 coupler is a rag joint. If you have the rag joing coupler, ditch it for the LS1 double u joint coupler. It is slimmer, and less prone to catastrophic failure.

If you have that coupler already, get a v8 rack. There are two of them, of two different ratios. More importantly, the output of the boxes is slightly different. I do not remember the exact angle, but one is a steeper pitch to the steering shaft than the other. Fool around with those combinations until you get something that clears. No need to hammer anything just yet.
Thanks for the info, but could you explain a little more in depth w/ maybe some pics. I don't know anything about the rack and pinion because I've never had to mess with it before... Thanks so far
Old 12-13-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok here are a couple pics I found. Remember, our cars have a plastic sheild over the couplers which I am assuming you already took off to get clearance.

Rag joint looks like this, more or less.

LS1 coupler looks similar to this, except I believe it has 2 ujoints:

If you want to see them on Fbody cars, just search the site for pics of LT! cars and LS1 cars where you can see the steering gear...usually looking at pics of FI cars from underneath will show you the steering boxes. Hopefully you can see the obvious difference in construction from these pics.

So if yours looks like the first pic, replace it with a coupler that looks like the second one and see if that doesn't get you the clearance.

If it looks like the second one, you may need to swap racks. Its not hard at all, but you will need to figure out which angle will best suit your clearance issue. You will also enjoy greatly the closer ratio and tightness of the new coupler. I did when I swapped an LS1 rack to my 6.

Last edited by lo_jack; 12-13-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:05 PM
FormerVendor

Mine looks like the second picture. The shaft between the coupler is rubbing on my header. Do you have any suggestions, maybe a part number or year of rack to switch to. Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to use a hammer.... but I also noticed after a few hundered miles the motor mounts settled and then I had all the room in the world.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:34 PM
FormerVendor

Maybe it's because I put the polyurethane motor mounts...?
Old 12-16-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that is strange. I used pacesetters and they went in like butter, without hitting anything. I have never heard of people having to get out the hammer to install the pacesetters.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by keliente
Wow, that is strange. I used pacesetters and they went in like butter, without hitting anything. I have never heard of people having to get out the hammer to install the pacesetters.
I know, I haven't really either... It could still be my rack. I don't know
Old 12-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Teching In

I have the same issue on mine but I have mac mids I can feel the motor in the wheel under hard acceleration....
Old 12-17-2006, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

You can adjust the steering shaft up/down about 1". Adjust it so it doesnt rub, or take a bfh to the header tube and flatten it out in that spot. I had to do both.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:08 PM
FormerVendor

I'm gonna rig something up someday, lol...
Old 12-18-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would endeavor to do whatever it takes to NOT have to smash your headers. Interrupting the flow of the primaries is pretty much a gauranteed defeat of the reason you spent money on them in the first place. A mildly dented primary is a mildly effective primary.