General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ls2 block broken help !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls2 block broken help !!!!

So to make a long story short my new ls2 402 block has a problem. I must have over torqued the long starter bolt as it caused the hole in the block to crack in half. So literally I have only the short bolt holding the starter in. The long bolt will go into whats left of the threads but I don't wanna troque it down as it will probably ruin whats left of the threads. I have the piece that broke off. Question is is there anything that I can use to reatach the piece that will hold some torque ? I have a 110v welder but Im not sure what type of welding wire I would need for whatever material the block is made out of ? any help or info would be greatly appreciated.I'm not sure if there is anything such as JB weld etc that would work well ?
Thanks
Ron H. p.s. I'm not sure if this is the right forum so i posted also in tools and fabrication
Old 12-14-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

No dice on this one you are screwed. The only solution is to take the car to a professional welder who has experience with alumium and see if they will attempt it. Unless you are a very skilled welder I would suggest you not touch it. I could possibly be tigged but you have to have the correct alloy to get close to that of the block. The problem is that after all of this it still may not work and give you no end to troubles in the future. Good luck bro
Old 12-15-2006, 06:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should be able to weld it back on that will be your only option....check out one of the other forums, i think theres one about tools or something where they talk about welding they should be able to help you
Old 12-15-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just out of curiousity, did you put antiseize on the long bolt before you reinstalled it and went to torque it down? I keep reading about people having these problems, but no one ever mentions whether or not antiseize was used.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Just out of curiousity, did you put antiseize on the long bolt before you reinstalled it and went to torque it down? I keep reading about people having these problems, but no one ever mentions whether or not antiseize was used.
No, i didn't. I just torqued it by feel which i've never had a problem with a starter before. Then again not too many starters I bolted into aluminum blocks before. I have a welder coming over tommorow and hes gonna build area up with weld so I can re-drill and tap hole I believe. It's better than having to get a new block lol.