General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear end tire eating issue

Old 12-18-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear end tire eating issue

I took my left rear wheel off last night to check my brakes. Well it turns out the rear has an extreme camber issue. Its eating up the inside of the tire pretty good. I have no idea how long this has been going on. These are the same tires that I got the car with. What worries me is that there is no adjustment for this type of thing in the rear is there? I would think even when the tires come loose under hard acceleration that it would eat up the whole tire not just the edge. I don’t want to go get new rubber and have the same thing happen.

Please help
Old 12-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a good alignment shop, check to see if they have a Hunter Alignment Machine pref with Lazers to determine why the car is off so much. I just pray the car wasnt hit....
Old 12-18-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

I kinda feel like it was hit. grrrrrrrrr
Old 12-18-2006, 09:25 AM
12 Second Club

how is that possible for the camber to be off? if the camber is off the axle would have to be bent, and you would have a pretty wicked vibration if the axle is bent.

by the inside of the tire do you mean the tread or the inside sidewall of the tire?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He could have bent anything in the rear assembly, One tire being off is weird but not to say the other side isnt off either..... that why it needs to be put on a machine. Anything from the rear LCA's, pan hard rod, sway bar, or even TQ arm could be bent.

Not trying to scare but something is not right.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

yeah im gonna take it to ntb some time this week. AS LONG AS WHAT EVER IS BROKEN can be replaced thats ok with me.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long have you had the car? Any possibility that the tires were originally on the front, and were rotated to the back without you noticing before? Not trying to insult your intelligence, but I am not afraid to ask the tough questions either.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
He could have bent anything in the rear assembly, One tire being off is weird but not to say the other side isnt off either..... that why it needs to be put on a machine. Anything from the rear LCA's, pan hard rod, sway bar, or even TQ arm could be bent.

Not trying to scare but something is not right.
your talking about the rear being crooked, which is toe in or out not camber.

is the car wondering or pulling either right or left? u may not notice it unless your doing highway speeds.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:45 AM
On the tree

If the inside of his real wheel is wearing out then he has a deffinate camber issue. Like was said though the only thing that could cause that would be a bent axle flange. It would not take too many degree for it to be off and wear enough for you to see.

Do like was said, take it to a reputable alignment shop and have them lok it over.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

i also should have mentioned that if it is a bent axle you wouldnt have wear all the way around the inside of the tire but maybe 1/4 the way around the inside and wear on the outside of the tire on the opposite side.

i agree with johnnyc that the tires were rotated from the front and u didnt notice it befor this
Old 12-18-2006, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

The rear tires were probly on the front and thats why they are worn. If the rear end was the cause of tire wear then you would also have a bad vibration cause something would have bot be bent

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear end tire eating issue