General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How can I disable the air bag warning light?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I disable the air bag warning light?

Hi Guys,

Bought a Momo steering wheel and love it. But how can I disable the Air Bag Warning light without disabling the passenger seat air bag?

Old 12-18-2006, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

I don't know if that is possible. I've installed a Sparco wheel myself and was wondering the same thing. My guess is that once you break the circuits in the SIR/SRS system, the whole deal is rendered inoperable. I was hoping this was NOT the case as my 15 yr. old son must still ride in the car.
As far as the light goes; I've been dealing with this for the last 6 years, NO ONE was able to give me a definative answer in that time. Some suggested various resistors, but they DID NOT work (IF they did, this might still leave the passenger airbag functional, idk ) After going into the gage cluster and trying to tear out L.E.D.s/bulbs, only to have another one light up in it's place (as a "failsafe" I'm guessing), I said f*** it, and just took the cover off of the cluster and put black electrical tape over the offending light. I was afraid it would just keep going and lighting up another warning light, until I broke out EVERY light in the whole cluster!!! I suggest you DO NOT rip ANY bulbs/L.E.D.s out and just put tape over the AIRBAG light, from the get-go.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the reply, Dailydriver. I guess I will go the black tape route. I do want the passenger side air bag to work, just in case, though I'm not a big of air bags in general. In a collision at low speeds, they can do a lot of damage for what might otherwise be a relatively minor accident.

But thanks. I don't think I'm gonna get a better answer here...