General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

TPS question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TPS question

do the Throttle position sensors have a tendency to go bad?

I have a 98 camaro, and while i was driving, my SES light came on, it went off the next day, but the code came up as a TPS malfunction.

is this a part that usually goes bad, and im getting a warning signal.. or is this just one of those freak things that will never bother me again (the light has been off for about a week now)
Old 12-19-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

If you have a ported throttle body it will do this unless you get it tuned out. Don't remember exactly what needs to be done but a search will get you the answers. If you don't have a ported throttle body then I'm not sure what would cause this. Except the obvious, a bad TPS. Change it out and do a TPS relearn. Again, a search will get you the info on how to do this. Your problems should be solved. TPS is really cheap and easy to install. Hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99ZEOD
If you have a ported throttle body it will do this unless you get it tuned out. Don't remember exactly what needs to be done but a search will get you the answers. If you don't have a ported throttle body then I'm not sure what would cause this. Except the obvious, a bad TPS. Change it out and do a TPS relearn. Again, a search will get you the info on how to do this. Your problems should be solved. TPS is really cheap and easy to install. Hope this helps.

thanks, i have a stock TB, i was just wonderin what could of caused it, cuz the light did go out
Old 12-19-2006, 09:01 PM
On the tree

If you did the bump stop mod and went to far the SES light will be set due to the TPS voltage going past 4.7 volts at WOT. I would check your TPS at WOT with a voltmeter before replacing it to make sure that is what the issue is.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

If you have a good multimeter, like a fluke 88 model, you could "sweep" the signal. A good multimeter (on record) can catch any gliches that are to fast to see on a digital read out. All the computer needs is a split second of data loss to throw a code. Sensor could have a bad spot in it.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

i dont have any mods done, the light came on when i was going 29mph at 1800 (i think) rpm

i have a digi multimeter, should I check it anyways?
Old 12-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Why not, it sounds like you may have a bad sensor. Cruising at 1800RPM is the normal drive load and position of the tps, "the worn spot"- so to speak...
Old 12-21-2006, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by autotrix
Why not, it sounds like you may have a bad sensor. Cruising at 1800RPM is the normal drive load and position of the tps, "the worn spot"- so to speak...

thanks, ill have to pick one up sometime.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by autotrix
If you have a good multimeter, like a fluke 88 model, you could "sweep" the signal. A good multimeter (on record) can catch any gliches that are to fast to see on a digital read out. All the computer needs is a split second of data loss to throw a code. Sensor could have a bad spot in it.
this is my method also......most problems are in the cruise area as autotrix said