General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

signs of bad window motor.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default signs of bad window motor.

ive never had power windows so i don't know how to tell if the window motor is going out. here's whats happening, my window will go about halfway down then stop. then about 3 minutes later i can roll down it down some more, and so on. it's the same way going up. is this the window motor or something else.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

It depends. Which window is it?

The reason it works then stops and works again later is the internal breaker.

If it the passenger window our kit may help you out. Click the link in my sig and look at our videos.

If it is the driver side window it is probably going out. You may take the door panel off and grease the tracks with lithium grease no matter what window it is and get it to work a little better.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your window motor is toast, I had the same issue a few months ago, two hours later, VOILA!

Window Motor Re pair Link

Now, I got the Siemens window motor from Autozone for $55 plus shipping and it has a lifetime warranty. You can do it yourself, click link above for EXCELLENT walk through! Took me two hours first time, next time it won't take as long. Would not suggest taking it to a shop/dealer, your gonna get nailed with an hourly rate. I was quoted 3 hours @ $75/hour. plus the part.

Good luck! Report back when fixed!
Old 12-19-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its the motor, has happen twice in my 3rd gen. the window gets slower and slower than starts stopping. the brushes wear out and it takes more current to make them move and causes more heat, etcc..

you might get away with making them last alittle longer buy doing what gnomee said, but after awhile your going to have to change out the motor or at least the brushes.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Launching!

+1 for splitz...anything else is just a bandaid
Old 12-20-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Actually our kit is not a bandaid. Thats why you end up replacing the motor over and over. None of our cars that are DD with the kit installed have EVER had a motor replaced. Here is a link to a much bigger discussion on how and why it works.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/609435-slow-passenger-window-check-out.html
Old 12-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gnomee
Actually our kit is not a bandaid. Thats why you end up replacing the motor over and over. None of our cars that are DD with the kit installed have EVER had a motor replaced. Here is a link to a much bigger discussion on how and why it works.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609435
i read that link but honestly didn't pull any info about your kit...i understand that your apprehensive about give the instructions out but can you please explain in detail what your kit does..
I'm assuming from your parts list that your taking direct battery current and using the relays wired up in a reverse polarity fashion (a la 5 wire door lock systems) the drive the motors.....is this a fair assumption....again with out looking at the GM schem your doing this to bypass the resistance of any small awg factory wiring and also, if any, components in the circuit...possiable BCM...did i nail it?
Old 12-20-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes the kit is giving the motor proper voltage directly from the battery instead of the reverse polarity method that they currently use which pulls current thru 20ft of small gauge wire before it gets to the motor.

This is explained in the 4th post of that thread. Guess not detailed enough though.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well it is the drivers side so i guess the little kit thingy you sell wouldn't work anyways.

Quick Reply: signs of bad window motor.