General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Motor mount replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mount replacement

Stock motor mounts shot **** and finally got some poly motors mounts and a tranny mount. Anybody on here replaced their motor mounts themselves. How hard is it? Does it require a lift or anything? I have headers too if that makes much of a difference
Old 12-21-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one ? before i give you some advice....when those motor mounts went out did you have a constant vibration or was it mostly at idle....im trying to get a consensus of what most people go through with a broken mount....

now...your turn....the easiest thing to do is lift the motor with a chain lift and then just pop them from underneath, the motor doesnt have to be lifted that high
Old 12-21-2006, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

mine was at idle... really chunky sound like someone was hitting something with a hammer, pretty sure that its the motor mounts myself.. now at idle im getting a constant vibration. im also interested in how to get the polys in the clamshell thats already there.. the directions said something about heating it up to melt part of the old mount
Old 12-21-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm about to do mounts myself. Mine haven't broken though, so I can't say what it would feel like.

However, I already have a set of clamshells I put poly in. Basically, you can do it that way i.e. melt out the old rubber one, but it's easier to just drill out the rivets and crack it open then bolt it back together with the bolts that come in the kit.

Like this:

^Those bolts^
Old 12-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Banned

If the motor mounts are worn out, you will notice that the motor flexes and moves much more under a load. I replaced my trans mount, and the shifter still moves side to side when I hit the gas, so I think my motor mounts are worn out.

If they are broken then thats even worse, in that case you will feel the motor banging around and the shifter will be all over the place, plus there would be tons of vibrations coming into the car.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Launching!

i notice some vibration. but mostly i notice the noise when i take off quickly it sounds like the motor is just moving freely around in the engine compartment. it'll beat the hell out the car when i wot from stop or really slow.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think replacing the toughest one is the driver side. I had to remove the alternator as well. I already had my header loose from doing my heads. I dont have my a/c mounted either but you will have to remove the bracket that holds it in place to get the bolt out. In my opinion, it was a PITA... I wouldnt do it again. Thats just my opinion.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

search and read stickies. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/508688-mounts-transmission-motor.html