General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Smell coolant after driving the car

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smell coolant after driving the car

just got it today and after I got home I put it away in the garage and walking towards the garage exit I smelled coolant, so I opened the hood and could not find any obvious leaks and the resivoir seemed low. the low coolant light came on as well half way home, any ideas? only 80k
Old 12-22-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Regular

It could be the water pump. The water pump will normally leak when it goes bad.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

I've noticed the same thing and always thought it was the coolant in the reservoir. I looked under the car today and noticed the AC compressor had some coolant on it as well as the right tie rod. I checked the thermostat, hoses, radiator and nothing seemed wet/leaking, but there was coolant collecting below. Isn't there a weap hole on the pump that you can check to guage the remaining life of the water pump? I have 45K miles - is this too soon for a crap out on the pump? I've changed the coolant every 2 to 3 years with distilled water (50/50), so old coolant shouldn't be an issue. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

take it somewhere and have it pressure tested
Old 01-01-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my water pump went bad it started smelling a little. Then it smelled a lot. Then it puked and died.

There is a weep hole under the pump but I couldn't see it from underneath. I only saw the trail of cooland as it leaked down and over towards the passenger side. When it got warm and started to pressurize it got pretty obvious.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

I went out and drove it pretty hard and then got under it and saw the coolant collecting at the top of the water pump by one of the gaskets on the drivers side, so time to change it out. It's not bad at this point, but why wait. I'm thinking of going with one of the motorad fail safe thermostats while it's out too. Does anyone know if part 89017593 (water pump kit per GM Parts Direct) contains the gaskets along with the pump? Thanks!
Old 01-01-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fatboyq
just got it today and after I got home I put it away in the garage and walking towards the garage exit I smelled coolant, so I opened the hood and could not find any obvious leaks and the resivoir seemed low. the low coolant light came on as well half way home, any ideas? only 80k
Just wondering what kind of car you have there.