General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Spark plug problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug problem

I don't know if this is normal, and did a search that returned no information.

First, some backround. I have TR-6 plugs, MSD wires, longtubes, and the engine is completely stock.

I was under the car attempting to track down a ticking sound. It seems like it coming from the block of the engine. It is definetly on the passenger side of the engine, and loudest from under the car. It is loudest from underneath the passenger door, and louder from underneath the driver's door than when standing over the engine.

ANyway, I noticed that the 2nd plug back on the passenger side of the car seems to stick out a little. It is the only plug I can still see some white of that is not hidden by the wire and engine. I tightened it all the way, and pressed the wire on as far as it will go and still it seems to stick out.
Is this normal? What could this mean? As a side note, what could the tickl be?
Old 12-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Launching!

The tick is most likely exhaust escaping through the threads in the plug since the plug is not all the way in. The same thing happened to me. One of my plugs did not want to screw all the way down. I think the treads may have had a burr in them or were slightly damaged when I took the plug out. I ended up having to clean out the treads and retap the hole, then the plug when all the way in.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

does it sound like a sewing machine ??
Old 12-30-2006, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HandsomeBWouderful
The tick is most likely exhaust escaping through the threads in the plug since the plug is not all the way in. The same thing happened to me. One of my plugs did not want to screw all the way down. I think the treads may have had a burr in them or were slightly damaged when I took the plug out. I ended up having to clean out the treads and retap the hole, then the plug when all the way in.
Your right, it may be an exhaust leak then.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:56 PM
Launching!

You sure it's not the ol' LS1 lifter-tap?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

I don't really know how to identify the sound. It actually seems to sound different depending on where you stand around the car. Theres a tick from most places, but what sounds like a knock from certain angles. But, I guess it has a resemblence of the sound a sewing machine makes...

I'm not sure what the lifter tap is? I heard about it, and changed to German Castrol which seemed to have had no effect on the sound.

I'm going to attempt just preplacing the spark plug, I really hope I don;t have to tap a hole in the engin, because theres just no room.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check your air pump gaskets. If theyre broken or missing then the car will make a ticking sound under load. Also make sure your wires/plugs are snug. If all of that is good then its likely just the common lifter tick that ls1's make. Its normal for the valve train to sound like a sewing machine.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

I removed my air system after i installed my longtubes. I'm not sure if i removed it entirely, how do i check to make sure. I follwed the instructions on install universdity i believe.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Loose plug or wire will cause this. For some reason a few months back during my spark plug install, one seemed to be loose. I must of not tightened it properly, which caused a ticking sound and loss of power. I rechecked all the plugs and ended up with one loose one.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

just replaced the plug, and the tick seems to be gone. yay