General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Electrical issue

My stock battery finally died the other week (got my 4+ years out of it) so I replaced it with an Optima Red top. Now I noticed that sometimes when I take the car out of gear (M6) and let the RPMs drop to idle, the rpms will drop to about 700 and return to the normal idle around 900rpm (it always did this from day 1), but now I notice that when it does it the voltage gauge drops to 12ish and all my lights dim (more noticable at night when I have more draw on the battery) for a split second until it returns to the regular 900rpm idle and the voltage goes back up to 13.5 ish.
Under normal driving the voltage gauge reads between 13 and 15, so I'm assuming the charging system is ok...but maybe my stock alternator is crapping out?
No check gauges or check engine light, and my trip odometer does not mysteriously reset like I've read in some other posts. The car starts with no problems and no other issues at all.
Any ideas?
vehicle is 2002 camaro SS with 29,000 miles
Thanks
Old 12-31-2006, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing. if you get an answer let me know.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:27 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can never really trust your dash gauge, but it sounds as if there is no problem at hand.