General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tuning out ABS INOP/BRAKE Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning out ABS INOP/BRAKE Lights

Okay, so I just put larger tires out back, and resultingly, the ABS INOP and BRAKE lights are on. I can deal with the lights, but I don't much like the idea of not having ABS at all. So how can I tune the signal out, or am I SOL? The light came on immediately after the install, so I have little question about the cause. I'll check the sensors tomorrow just in case though, but the fronts are 255/35/18s and the rears are 295/45/18s... an obvious difference.
BTW, those new rears look sick, they give it a drag-tire appearance, that's suitable for the street.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Default ABS INOP, ABS, AND BRAKE lights all on!

Its funny you just said that, because i've had three lights on for the past 6 months or so. I also changed my tires out. i went with 275/45/17 in the front and 315/35/17 in the rear. HUGE difference. however, my lights didnt come on immediately after though.

as a matter of fact. my 3 lights came on after i hit a pothole so big, it seemed like i lost my rear end.

also, my last TA was EXACTLY the same. when i put those same wheels on it. they NEVER threw a code. so... i'm still stuck with 3 lights on.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

Curious why would you install such oddball sizes? That's a big disparity in sizes between the front and rear. You need to hook a scanner up and see what sensors are not reading vehicle speed (front or rear). Either way, here are some calculated tire heights:

Rear: 295/45/18 = 28.45"
Front: 255/55/18 = 25.05"
difference in height 3.40"

To answer your question, you need a PCM editing software to change your rear gear size, because you have effectively changed the rear end ratio with a taller than standard tire. Unfortunately, there are no quick fixes to turn off the lights with 99-up models like the 98's.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 98 and have the same problem. I just put new tires on today with larger ones in the rear and after about 5 miles ABS inop and the BRAKE light came on. Any help would be appreciated because it is aggrivating to have the lights on.