General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

stalling when coasting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalling when coasting?

99 ta auto trans..sometimes when i'm coasting up to a stop the car dies..restarts just fine..i get codes but when i erase them..the check engine light stays off until i restart for the 2nd time....time or distance doesnt matter before the light comes on..just on second restart..the codes are p0405, po410, p0412, p0418..some interesting info on this, blows the air pump fuse right away . no obvious shorts or melted wires etc...pulled egr and it seems to move freely (any other way to check it ).will sit in gear and idle just fine at 500(which seems a little low to me).i appreciate any help on what direction to look for this issue..other than stalling it seems to run great..pulls hard..thanks
max
Old 12-30-2006, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the blown air pump fuse is likely a shorted out AIR pump from getting moisture in it ( a known problem why they changed the air pump inlet in 00 or 01)

500 rpm isn't that low for a auto trans

with out knowing what exatly all those codes are right now I can't say for sure but give a little more info on the car and stuff
Old 12-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i should have included that the car is 100% stock (not even a lid...yet) sorry about that...i'm thinking if its gonna cost very much to replace anything like air pump ,egr...i would just eliminate it..and try to find someone to tune out the codes..some guys say they lose mileage..well honestly i didnt buy this car for mileage and they dont emissions test here..so i wouldnt have a problem getting rid of it.....i am wondering if the codes i'm now getting are the same ones ,one gets when they eliminate the air pump and egr?..just curious..thanks for your help
max