General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

blinker problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blinker problem

so my left blinker doesnt work. when i put the blinker to turn left, the tail light turns on but not the front and it just stays on and doesnt flash like it should. all the lights work, i already checked that, when i hit the keyless entry the front light works and comes on. i just changed it today so i know the light is good along with all the other lights. i also checked the fuses and had 2 blown but changed them and still the blinker doesnt work and no more fuses are broken. the right blinker works fine and the running light comes on like it should when i turn the lights on, but still no left blinker. anyone have an idea what could be wrong, or can i swing the car by and have someone look at it?

thanks
matt
Old 01-07-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Try changing the left front park/signal bulb. If that doesn't work, you're probably low on blinker fluid..
Old 01-07-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Check the connector out it may be rusted/corroded, also while your at it coat the front of the lens with some clear RTV to keep moisture out, I did that and havent had to replace a bulb since then.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was going through light bulbs on my left front turn signal. I was getting moisture and water build up. So i took the damn thing out and drilled 3 holes in the light housing and 3 weeks later i have not blown a bulb. And clean out the socket and use bulb lube to prevent water getting in.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

i have no problem with water getting to it and bulbs arnt going out, i just put the first new one in, but like i said the light works when i turn the headlights on and hit my keyless entry, but the light doesnt turn on when i try to use the blinker.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

I had the opposite symptom yesterday. Light wouldn't flash or come on when I hit the FOB, but the turn signal flashed. Bulb housing had a ton of moisture/goo in it. Cleaned it out and replaced the bulb and it's all normal again.

Does the local auto parts store sell the clear RTV?
Old 01-07-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by msurferh
so my left blinker doesnt work. when i put the blinker to turn left, the tail light turns on but not the front and it just stays on and doesnt flash like it should. all the lights work, i already checked that, when i hit the keyless entry the front light works and comes on. i just changed it today so i know the light is good along with all the other lights. i also checked the fuses and had 2 blown but changed them and still the blinker doesnt work and no more fuses are broken. the right blinker works fine and the running light comes on like it should when i turn the lights on, but still no left blinker. anyone have an idea what could be wrong, or can i swing the car by and have someone look at it?

thanks
matt
That amber bulb has 2 filaments --the blinker one is probably burnt out. I just changed mine on friday--easy job.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Try your hazard lights--if they flash it is probably not the relay
Old 01-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

changed the bulb, changed the relay, and the fuses are good. still the left forward blinker is out but the back left blinker works fine. the only thing i can think of it that the light socket is bad, so im gonna change that and see if that works!! btw the new blinker relay is the quietest one iv ever heard and it was only 2.99!!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by msurferh
changed the bulb, changed the relay, and the fuses are good. still the left forward blinker is out but the back left blinker works fine. the only thing i can think of it that the light socket is bad, so im gonna change that and see if that works!! btw the new blinker relay is the quietest one iv ever heard and it was only 2.99!!
i had the same problem a while back and it was the relay...i could have sworn that was your problem. oh well, good luck
Old 01-09-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck chasing down that problem
Old 01-09-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

same **** is happening to me
actually, all but my front left light works when i use my hazards
everything works when I use keyless entry
Left front blinker doesnt come on/blink
Rear left comes on but doesnt blink

What could be my problem?
(sorry for hijacking but its the same topic)

Last edited by Dimitri-; 01-09-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

I figured it might be those.
noob q but i know theyre under the dash, do i have to take that panel off to get to it or is it the open thing right next bottom of the center console?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dimitri-
same **** is happening to me
actually, all but my front left light works when i use my hazards
everything works when I use keyless entry
Left front blinker doesnt come on/blink
Rear left comes on but doesnt blink

What could be my problem?
(sorry for hijacking but its the same topic)
i have that same problem right now, when i turn the hazards on all lights flash except the front left one, iv changed everything, now im going to change the actual socket that the bulb plugs into.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

it work?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

havent had the time to do it yet, im in the marines and dont really have much time durning the week to do anything else but work. ill change it this weekend and then post up.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

The same thing just happened to me today. Same as discribed above. Hey and I'm also in the Marines... Anyways My girlfriend sad the same thing happened in her old chevy blazer and it turned worse and worse with other electrical problems. That is till she sold the damn thing. I hope that doesn't happen to our's.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

ahhh, they are all full of it, all it needs is its bliker fluid replenished, do that and they'll work like new
Old 01-15-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OK,you guys got me curious,so I checked the wiring diagram.The turn signal bulb is powered by the relay,but the relay is ultimately controlled by theDaytime running lamp(DRL) module.When hazard is energised it uses a different flasher and voltage supply,hence it may work when turn signal wont.
So the DRL module would be my best guess.If it were not too costly,I would replace it now to see if it fixes the problem but,if it was an expensive part then I would confirn its bad by checking voltage inputs and outputs to and from module.
According to the service manual,the DRL module is located " behind the radio and HVAC control,left of the IP compartment".
Hope this helps out!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

So I just had to order a new socket from autozone for 6 dollars.... went to the dealer before that though and they wanted $60!!!

ripoff artists