General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car blackout... then back to normal... help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car blackout... then back to normal... help?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/631708-way-should-i-go.html

So I installed a new amplifier for the '01 Camaro, and everything worked fine this morning as I tested the new system. I listened to it for an hour while I cleaned up the car, replaced the interior, and put away my tools. I decided to hit the audio shop for some foam and stuff to quiet some rattling behind my new speakers. Then this happened.

I turn the key, car idles for a split second, then everything blacked out (no power). I was like, wtf? Of course, since I added an amp and stuff, I removed the amp fuse near the battery and tried again, nothing. I checked all the fuses, nothing. I unhooked the negative terminal on the battery, waited a minute, then reconnected. Then the engine cranked. However, it would just idle low then die. I cranked it again, same thing. Cranked it again, and this time I held it at 1500 rpm for a couple minutes, and when I left off, it idles about 500 out of gear. I limped it the 3 miles home keeping my foot always on the gas and in 2nd gear to keep the rpm up. Once I got home I let off the gas, and everything is back to normal? I turned the car off, then on. Normal. I replaced the amp fuse. Normal several times on and off with a couple minutes in between. I plugged in the OBD handheld, it reads normal. Battery while off and no surface charge reads healthy 12.65 volts. Battery charging reads 14.2 volts. Any ideas wtf happened?

It seemed like somethign shorted or maybe a bad relay got stuck... Then when I disconnected the battery, it unstuck and was fine again? What do you guys think?
Old 01-07-2007, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

I had the same type of thing happen and it was the alternator. Have you isolated the problem to the car's electrical system or does it seem to be correlated to your system. If it is the car check the alternator and if it is the alternator go to a dealership and get a new one. DONT buy one from an auto parts store(i.e. Autozone, Oreiley). I may be wrong but it is worth checking especially with the added load.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

uh oh. i went to check some stuff and when i came back, battery said 6 volts, lol. not good
Old 01-07-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess now you know not to have your stereo playin for an hour w/o the car running.