General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window Motor...The Easy Way!

Old 01-07-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Window Motor...The Easy Way!

So here is one for all of you about to replace the window motor. Some of you may know about this, others may not.

After doing my drivers side this summer I was told by a friend how I could do it half the time with alot less trouble.

Sorry I do not have any pictures, so I will try to explain this the best I can.

When you pull the door panel off, you will see where there is a black housing that hold the speaker in, pull the 7mm bolts out and pull apart the wiring clamp so that you can get the speaker away from the door. Now if you can, roll the window so that it doesn't fall.

When looking at the door you will see 4 massive rivits, these hold the entire mechanisim on to the door. The motor itself is pop rivitied or bolted to the mechanism above the speaker.

Now stick your hand in the area where the speaker once was and feel around for the 3 bolts/rivits that hold the motor to the mechanisim. Mark on the fiberglass panel (inside of the door) where these are drill out these areas. Make it large enough for a socket to get in. The bottom bolt you could almost get it through another hole that is already in the door. But it is best to go ahead and just grind away some material to make it easier. Now that the three holes are in the door, either drill out the rivits or pull the nuts off. When removing the bolts or rivits be sure to hold the motor on the last one... or else that damn thing will fall hard on the window!! Pull the motor out the speaker hole and replace with the new motor and bolt on. Once bolted up, check to make sure the window goes up and down smoothly.

My roommates window motor died last night at 6pm with it all the way down. We went to the autoparts store, got the motor and then ran to hardware store to get new bolts and had the motor in and door panel back on by 9pm!

This was much quicker than compared to the all day cussing experience I had with my car when pulling the whole damn thing out...

Dont worry about those holes, your door panel will cover all that, and it will make it easier to change next time.

Hope this helps some people who are about do change their motors...

-bryan
Old 01-07-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool stuff--thanks for the tip.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

NP... I figured it could help someone.

-bryan
Old 01-07-2007, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

This will defentaly help me seeing how I need to replace my motors and I bought some of ebay for 10 bucks. I hope they last tho.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

If they don't, replace them with the ones from autozone. They have a lifetime warrenty.

-bryan
Old 01-07-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

I thought that was the only way :P
Old 01-31-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks a lot I'm gonna replace my driver side motor this wkend and I didn't have a clue on how to do it! Thanks a lot, this really helps!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's basically the write up that most people follow to replace the motor. I can't remember where it is from.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 98redM6
That's basically the write up that most people follow to replace the motor. I can't remember where it is from.
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

Search this Thread