General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

95 firebird - sitting for two years & won't start

Old 02-08-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 firebird - sitting for two years & won't start

I finally had a key made for a firebird that I've had sitting behind my shed for two years last night but the car won't start. I can hear the fuel pump priming and I'm getting pressure to the fuel rail but the car won't hit a lick. The gas smells like Either so I know it's bad which may be the problem. Is there a easy way to drain fuel out of one of these cars? It's only got about three gallons of fuel in it anyway, I thought about adding 5 gallons of good gas with some fuel stablizer but I don't know if that would get it to run or not. The motor is a 3.4L V6, ran fine when I parked it. I'm hoping the VATS code is right but the locksmith should have been able to tell what code it needed. He was a cool guy, seemed to know what he was doing so my guess is more of a gas issue. Would the car turn over with the wrong chip but not start or does the VATS keep the starter from working? Thanks for any help..
Old 02-08-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW, this is a 1995 model firebird..
Old 02-08-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

bad fuel pump low pressure, stuck injectors, incorrect key. But since it cranks that means he got the key right as long as the security light is not flashing. More than likely injectors. Do the basics spark, fuel pressure volume, injector drop test, used a noid light to verify the pcm is commanding the injectors.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

its most likely the fuel pump. these are notorious for going bad if you let them sit. have a friend turn the key to the on position not (not cranking) while you listen with the fuel cap off at the pump in the tank. you should hear the pump if its working.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The fuel pump is working and the rail has pressure but it won't hit a lick, I'm going to pull the plugs this weekend and see if it's getting spark.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

put fresh gas in it and it bet it starts. 2 year old gas has got to be a major problem.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

If you don't follow the steps you are wasting your time. Just because the pump runs does not mean it is putting out adequate pressure. Get a gauge and check it. Then noid light the injectors and make sure the pcm is controlling them. Check for spark with a spare plug. Then with the gauge on the fuel rail activate the injectors and see if they equally drop. Once you do all of this you will find your problem and it will start without guessing.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get rid of that gas asap IMO. Its probably half and half water especially with that amount of gas left in it. I would try and suck the gas out of it as best as possible and refill with some good stuff. My parents boat sat for 7 months without stabilizer and a low tank, we tried to restart and run it the next season and ended up blowing the main bearing(special thanks to the f'n marina that winterized it). This was all because of the water/gas mix which in those motors causes pressure to almost double within the cylinders. but anyways, Do a tune up on it, it'll stop the guessing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 firebird - sitting for two years & won't start