General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Idle problems, car seems very sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle problems, car seems very sluggish

I've been noticing some problems when my car is idling. It's actually died a couple of times on my wife while she was stopped at a red light. I also notice a slight hesitation when I give the car gas to take off. I have 72000 miles on the car (2000 SS). I have yet to change the spark plugs, but I'm wondering if there is something else that I should take a look at also (fuel filter maybe).
Old 01-13-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have you recently dicconected the battery? sometimes this can cause funny problems while it relearns.

If you have never changed the fuel filter or dont know when the last time it was changed, I would take car of that first.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:55 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Getting any SES lights?

If not, start with the basics, as mentioned. New fuel filter, new plugs, inspect plug wires replace if needed. Might be dirty injectors as well, maybe run some fuel system cleaner though a tank or two of gas (I like Red Line brand the best).

If none of that helps, you might have to look at things such as fuel pressure (possibile weak pump), IAC valve (carbon build-up, stripped worm gear), EGR valve if you still have it (pintle sticking open at idle), MAF sensor (dirty/damaged wires), to name a few.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am getting an SES light, but it doesn't come on all the time. I will definitely change the fuel filter and spark plugs/wires, just because I know it's needed it for a while now. I did recently disconnect the battery, maybe that did have something to do with it.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Get that SES light scanned. Whatever DTCs are present will likely help you to figure out the problem. Even if the light isn't on right now, if it recently flashed an SES the PCM will have that info stored and a scanner can collect it. Use OBDII to your advantage.

If you don't know anyone local with a scanner, I know that Autozone stores around here will scan PCMs for free. They probably would in your area as well.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the help, I'll get a friend to scan the PCM.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, thanks to a friend of a friend, I have a vacuum leak. I found this out the day after we changed my plugs and fuel filter. Hopefully that will be the end of my problems. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sills1
Well, thanks to a friend of a friend, I have a vacuum leak. I found this out the day after we changed my plugs and fuel filter. Hopefully that will be the end of my problems. Thanks for all the help.
I had a very similar issue...er well sorta, I have a 2000 SS as well and it was stalling at lights. Took it to the dealership and found out I had a leaking intake manifold gasket, it's VERY expensive if they do it.Check with local shops before you take your car in, they're **** you on labor at dealer for a $15 part,check your warranty. I also just installed LT's and had an issue with stalling right after the install, it turned out to the be the EGR/Air tube that goes right into the intake manifold right before the throttle body. My advice, un screw the AIR/EGR and ensure the o-ring in it is sitting correctly. Once I put the o-ring into the correct place my problems fixed right off the bat.